Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Gnome Menu

Thread: Gnome Menu

Gnome Menu

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how to edit the menu in Gnome I want to add a shortcut to a program to it... Specifically the mysqlcc program, which by the way I recommend HIGHLY.

TIA,
    Ryan

Good Guru

Re:Gnome Menu

Hey Ryan. This is not something RH made easy yet. The tool was not near compeltion when 8.0 shipped and is teh only thing that irritates me about the distribution. There is a XML file that contains all of the menus, and apps, and links to the .desktop file pile. What I have been doing is making collapseable menus (drawers) and placing stuff there. In hopes that their 8.1 has it. As for other flavors -- dunno. RH is accused of butchering KDE -- no compared to stock, KDE is closer to natural than GNOME. Dont get me wrong, GNOME in RH8 is really nice. But definitely not the same as Ximian/GARNOME/Stock. I will dig up the info on it and post. If you have been saving (as I have been) the RH mail list messages, a link to a site that describes this was posted some time ago (Decemberish, maybe as far back as November).

Get back to ya soon ...

I wish I had been saving the list but I use a yahoo mail account and definately don't have the room for saving lists there. Is this something that is easier in a stock GNOME install? I just don't get why they made/make it so hard to customise the menu.

Good Guru

RedHat 8 GNOME2 Menu editing guide

As for stock, hell if I know. I used Mandrake 9 for a week before I burned out my only other usable 3D accelerator. I hadnt quite gotten that far ;D

But from what RedHat has been saying, the tool should be ready for 8.1. I personally am having a hard time waiting. That and a few other GNOME related things got me to the GNOME User's Board They may have an answer. Plus, this forum doesn't flame ya for being a RedHat guy ;D Other GNOME places do (dont ask why, ya figure the biggest contributor to GNOME is RedHat ... oh well stupid people...)

You could try browsing to applications:/// in Nautilus. Is that what you were looking for? (You can add launchers, create folders, etc)

Good Guru

In RedHat, there is an "Extras" folder. It essentially contains all of the non-default apps (like most of the KDE stuff). Most want to merge that into the normal menu.

Now, as far as the application:/// , that didnt work easily. I could not drag the stuff from one to another. Unless is was a permissions issue, it gave an unsupported operation error.

Nice idea though ;D