Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "How Many" Poll

Re:The "How Many" Poll

Well, my PRIMARIES are all Linux/UNIX here. I have two crippled systems. One for my Wife, and for the lappy. Two PRI's have Linux (one being the Mac with OS9 also. Couldn't avoid it), and one has FreeBSD. The laptop does have 2K Pro on it though since I need to get at least a MCP title to land a job at the University that I'm already doing an internship for (Damn M$). Oh well. But some reason though, I kinda put off on those studies. :P

Mentor

I try to use linux as much as I can, but at the moment I am reduced to windows most of the time. Most of my time on my PC is on the net, and I don't have an internet connection on my PC, so I'm on the family one, and the family wont let me put linux on it, so I get to use win98.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Linux only.

[quote author=cybergal link=board=17;threadid=6124;start=0#58210 date=1042954286]
    Linux only.
    [/quote]

I second that unless you count duel booting with or having BSD boxen.

At work I use Win98, with Word 97, Excel 97 and IE (because we have an abortion of a network that is based on web apps that only work (or half work) in IE). I had a second box setup for Linux, but the IT Nazis came and took it away... >

So, as I like to say, I don't use a real computer at work- all I have is a fancy wordprocessor/web appliance.

At home, its Linux 100%.

Associate

[quote author=cga link=board=17;threadid=6124;start=0#58234 date=1042993442]
    At work I use Win98, with Word 97, Excel 97 and IE (because we have an abortion of a network that is based on web apps that only work (or half work) in IE). I had a second box setup for Linux, but the IT Nazis came and took it away... >
    [/quote]

Why did they do that?

okay i understand how sometimes you want to use both oses. but come on if you wanna get real work done, how can you use windows? if at the end of computer class my computer hasn't crashed i'm shocked. usually i do my real work by ssh'ing to one of my servers there.

i may install windows on my old box sometime soon, but that's just so i can test/build a vnc server without a systray icon and that lets me connect to the login screen and that doesn't show in Control-Alt-Delete... for no imparticular reason...

Mentor

Just a little side note. Me and my friend played around with the different names displayed in the task manager, we found that you could just use " ", so it could be selected, but wouldn't be visible if you didn't know it was there.
    CP

I use Linux fulll time on my desktop. (I do have a Windoze XP partition, but its only used for LAN games - which I very rarely play). It runs my file server and it will run my web development server.

I've graduated beyond Linux. FreeBSD is my choice desktop. [smiles] I still have Debian set up and boot to it occasionally, and have it on my laptop (since FreeBSD is a little extreme for a laptop) though.