Thread: Agh Grip!!!

Advisor

Agh Grip!!!

Whenever I try and rip a CD using Grip, i select the tracks I want, then when i hit "rip and encode" it will rip the first song, but skip the rest, it just selects them for about a second, then skips them. If I am lucky it'll rip one more song on the CD, but skip the majority. When I use my slower cdrom drive it will get maybee 3 to rip, they all encode propperly, but the ripping is a royal pain in the @$$ :-\ So, is this a bug with Grip, my cdrom drives, or my setup? And how can I get this to work propperly, or, can anyone reccommend another good cd ripping app to use?

This isn't just a gimped install either, I installed it using emerge, but had the same problem on knoppix with it.

Re:Agh Grip!!!

hello,
    i used Grip too and switched back to ripperX - its nice, atlot like grip, ogg support.

Good Guru

hey PK -- that may be a configuration issue. Since all Grip (and RipperX AFAIK) does is act as a frontend to the ogg/mp3/wav ripping CLI tool, if you dont have that setup or correct parameters getting passed, you will more than likely have problems.

Try removing your $HOME/.grip file and see if that helps out at all. Perhaps there is a bad configuration. Plus make sure that

A) The song that does get ripped is actually getting ripped properly
    B) That you have access to the CD(R)/DVD drive. That **COULD** be an issue.

At last resort, you could see if RipperX works. If it doesn't, you need to see if you have cdparanoia installed properly. Mine is located @ /usr/bin/paranoia .

HTH

if i may be so bold scrap grip scrap ripper x and use rip. it is a commandline controlled ripper but it is fast and good. i entered my standard ripping lines into my rip menu entry and all i do is pop in my disc click the menu entry and start ripping.

rip is definitely the best ripper i have come across without a doubt.

Advisor

Well, I haven't managed to get ripperX yet, but I don't think it's my settings, i deleted them all and it still did it. And CLI isn't really what i'm looking for, for some things it's alright, but ripping CD's isn't one of them.

well ok but it is super easy and super fast especially if you have the cli line in you menu to launch rip. two mouse click three enters and entering one date is all i need to do to be start ripping. unless they change comands then there are no worries about losing settings like you do with grip or ripperx.

while both are just front end for cli apps their executable interpret their rc files while rip's executable has the ripper information hard coded.

but since you are determined to not even look at it then i will shut up now. rip

Advisor

I installed ripperX, and it's alright, it works fine, but it's pretty slow to encode. So, since sarah31 seems so happy with rip i think i'll give it a shot.

Okay, as I was typing this rip finished emerging, so i'm currently using it. Does it not support ogg vorbis or am i just blind / incapable / horribly stupid?

yes it should just do rip -h for the option to find the option to use it ( ithink it is -O or something)

i rip only to ogg btrw so it must

Advisor

ah, it seems I am blind / incapable / horribly stupid. ;D Ripping to ogg just needs -O. Thanx sarah31.

Heh your any of those things you mention.

this is the line i put in my menu. I just pop a cd in and then answer its questions.

Code:
    Eterm -O --scrollbar=no --cmod-red 71 --cmod-green 113 --cmod-blue 113 -e rip -v -TOPS -n --dev /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -m /home/sarah/MyMusic -q 10
    btw i changed to rip when i got tired of grip and ripperx not functioning very well. i did not go out seeking a cli ripper but once i tried rip i had no desire to go back.

if you like i am happy but if you don't then thats cool to i just wanted to get you to try it really