Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Creating a ISP

Thread: Creating a ISP

Creating a ISP

What type of infrastructure would I need to build an ISP?

Im doing consultant work for the local Housing Authority and I need to know the equipment required (including cost) to start a ISP.

Re:Creating a ISP

Incoming bandwidth, router(s), tons of phone lines, server to answer the phone, lots of IP addresses, etc. Not to mention power backups, spare servers for redundancy, etc.

If this will be for a block of housing or a neighborhood, why not look into wireless LAN stuff? Probably easier and cheaper to setup.

Kind Mastermind

Re:Creating a ISP

[quote author=coltrane link=board=1;threadid=6117;start=0#58051 date=1042826415]
    What type of infrastructure would I need to build an ISP?

Im doing consultant work for the local Housing Authority and I need to know the equipment required (including cost) to start a ISP.
    [/quote]

My old isp used to have a page that stated how much it cost to get a franchise with them (they also include the cost of the various components, phone lines, etc). You could try emailing them and asking them how much it would cost to start an ISP. Just a suggestion.

Cheers