Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

File Sharing Advice Needed

Thread: File Sharing Advice Needed

File Sharing Advice Needed

I'm new to Linux and I need some advice on the best way to share my music files across a college LAN so I can access it anywhere on campus. I'm familar with SSH and Telnet, but I don't want to have to GET files then play them, I want to be able to open them directly from my player or file manager.

What is the best application to accomplish this with?

Thanks in advance And please pardon the novice question.

michae|

Re:File Sharing Advice Needed

It depends what client OS you are using really. For a Linux client, NFS does the job pretty good. For a windows client, you'll need Samba. Both are pretty easy to set up.

You can always put up a streaming mp3 server

http://gnump3d.sourceforge.net/index.html

I agree with Tolstoy. Putting up an mp3 server would be your best bet.

I use Apache web server with mod_php, mod_mp3 and the Andromeda php script.
    http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda/home.asp

Initial setup is slightly labor intensive but well worth it

[quote author=segfault link=board=4;threadid=6105;start=0#57946 date=1042719450]
    It depends what client OS you are using really. For a Linux client, NFS does the job pretty good. For a windows client, you'll need Samba. Both are pretty easy to set up.
    [/quote]

I appreciate your advice. However, I'm having some trouble connecting NFS between a SuSE 8.1 and Mandrake 9 box. Here are my fstab and exports, if anything is obviously wrong, please let me know.

Server: 192.168.0.167 (Mdk)
    -fstab-
    nothing related to nfs

-exports-
    /mnt/nt3 192.168.0.156(ro) 192.168.0.156/255.255.255.0(ro) defaults

NFS, portmap, nlockmgr, and mountd are all running according to rpcinfo.

Clinet: 192.168.0.156 (SuSE)
    -fstab-
    192.168.0.167:/mnt/nt3 /mnt/nfs nfs defaults 0 0

-exports-
    nothing related to nfs

NFS, portmapper, nlockmgr, mountd are running according to RPCinfo.

I have tried using SuSEs built NFS client link through the control panel, but it tells me "Unable to mount the NFS entries from /etc/fstab" When I try mounting from console, it says "mount: 192.168.0.167:/mnt/nt3 failed... Permission denied"

Also, I've tried using my server (Mdk) to connect my client (SuSE) using Mandrake's control center, and it works fine that way. It just acts up when I try to use SuSE to connect to Mandrake. I also tried using the server to load its own export, that failed also.

Thanks in advance for any help.

michae|

Good Guru

try it all as root. that should fix it then. I have to use root to mount any NFS shares on my LAN as well.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=6105;start=0#58066 date=1042838713]
    try it all as root. that should fix it then. I have to use root to mount any NFS shares on my LAN as well.
    [/quote]

root didn't change anything. Do I need to edit my HOSTS or HOSTS.allow?

Good Guru

I never bothered populating my hosts.allow or hosts.deny files, however IIRC, that would impact who can access your services. Try commenting all of it out, and go from there. But beforehand, try this :: on both the server and the client, reset the protmapper and nfs daemons. That has been something that has always pissed me off with NFS on linux. Sometimes eithe the client or sever gets stuck (for lack of a better word). That of course fixes it.