Thread: MandrakeSoft goes into bankruptcy

Mentor

MandrakeSoft goes into bankruptcy

The liabilities accumulated by MandrakeSoft through a series of quarterly losses have prompted the company to file for "declaration de cessation des paiements". The filing, similar to the U.S. Chapter 11-Reorganization, took place on January 13, 2003.

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/company/press/briefs?n=/mandrakesoft/news/2405

Re:MandrakeSoft goes into bankruptcy

Hehe. I'm glad I thought about waiting to see how it would do before buying any of it. It was kinda shady to be obligated to buy a 2000 share minimum.

Here's something very related to the rumor to the name "MandrakeSoft" and the words "bankruptcy", and "rumor". ;D

MandrakeSoft News

Sad to see it happen but I guess it's not all that surprising, since Mandrake didn't have the business inroads that RedHat has made. That being said, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a couple of the other big brand Linux distros go belly up too.

Well, first of all, Drake didn't go "belly up". They are still in business, and producing just as much as ever. Their mistake was getting into the US market so soon. If they didn't, that Chapter 11 forms could have been avoided. They are just not having to pay debts, and given a chance to rebuild thier financial status.

You're right, but I've always thought of Chapter 11 (and its foreign equivalents) as going "belly up." But, as you point out, Mandrake and many other companies who have filed for creditor protection are still operating.

I, for one, am sad to see Mandrake go belly-up.
    If it wasn't for the ease of Mandrake I'd still be a M$ breeder. I don't have the technical knowhow of a 14-year old 1337-skat0r or have a ph.d in UNIX, and I struggled in vain with RedHat, Corell and Debian to get printer, sound and modem to work -all of which were up and running from first boot with mdk 9.0
    Agreed, they screwed up with regards to their marketing, but the distro has been a very pleasant introduction to Linux as such for computer-illiterate schmucks like myself, and that is a virtue of it own.

They are still not going belly-up. :P