Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound editor for linux

Sound editor for linux

hello folks,
    seems like i remember someone wanting an audio editor for linux, i stumbled across this:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    looks cool, but i know nothing about audio editing. hopefully soem of you do.

Re:Sound editor for linux

Thanks for the linkage pbharris! I was probably the one looking for it. I've tried Audacity and it isn't half bad ... but I do multi insterment recording at diffrent times and it doesn't support that yet.

I can't waut for the day that I can record my music on Linux and not have to use Cakewalk and Mac OS with AMPFARM.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=3994;start=0#39758 date=1025493062]
    <snip>

I can't waut for the day that I can record my music on Linux and not have to use Cakewalk and Mac OS with AMPFARM.
    [/quote]

i am sure the day is close at hand

Hey, does Audacity have the ability to cut audio from one spot of a file and insert it into another? That's all I really need in an audio editor (I love recording somebody talking, and then rearranging their words so they said something totally different )

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=13;threadid=3994;start=0#39832 date=1025550538]
    Hey, does Audacity have the ability to cut audio from one spot of a file and insert it into another? That's all I really need in an audio editor (I love recording somebody talking, and then rearranging their words so they said something totally different )
    [/quote]

Make people talk like yoda, you like ?

Make sure you have a good soundcard as well, at least 24bit

[quote author=coltrane link=board=13;threadid=3994;start=0#39862 date=1025568767]Make sure you have a good soundcard as well, at least 24bit[/quote]

Is an SBLive! good enough for you?

I am pretty sure it can do that Fetzaa. I was fooling with it with my guitar and got mad and put notes all over the place with the mouse so I am sure you can do it with voices :P.

an apology in advance, i am used to a few editors and mixers on Windows. i am moving away slowly, as i have yet to find anything of professional level, such as Acid and SoundForge from Sonic Foundry. help me cut the cord and abandon Windows! these programs are the best i have used yet, what does linux have to compete with?

thanks,
    theof

[quote author=theof link=board=13;threadid=3994;start=0#48227 date=1031099815]
    an apology in advance, i am used to a few editors and mixers on Windows. i am moving away slowly, as i have yet to find anything of professional level, such as Acid and SoundForge from Sonic Foundry. help me cut the cord and abandon Windows! these programs are the best i have used yet, what does linux have to compete with?

thanks,
    theof
    [/quote]

Have you looked yet at Cinelerra? I realize that it is primarily set up for video compositing and editing, but it has a dynamite audio editor, too. Limitless number of tracks, decent effects (expandable with plug-ins), and decent on less-than-state of the art hardware (I'm running it on a 1.3 GHz Duron with 256 megs, and it runs fine). It comes as a rather large static linked binary that is surprisingly easy to install.

Hope this helps you out some.

Later On,
    horus