Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who do you know?

Re:Who do you know?

well my wife uses it - and like it.
    a bunch of people at work use it we run simulations of hardware on it.
    and a good friend of mine has been using it lately.

We've got about 15 members in the local LUG that use Linux. Some of our LUG members run ISPs, work for ISP's (well...used to), and are network administrators. They run Debian, FreeBSD, and two of the admins use Mac OS X on their laptops. The LUG isn't that active here. I see a few of the members on a regular basis. :-/ Anyway...I know a few home users who have thought about switching to Linux after I've talked to them. I'll go over there and fix a winders box (sometimes I use Linux to boot the drive if it had a virus), or they'll ask me if this happens to my comp and I mention I run Linux, then they get hyped up for a bit and want me to put it on there. I never do though. They hardly know how to fix a simple windows problem, how can i expect them to use Linux. ???

Good Guru

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=13;threadid=6093;start=0#57989 date=1042752586]
    My first experience was with Caldera's Openlinux 1.2 with kernel 2.0.35 and this was around 1998. Then I tried RH which I started hearing more & more about but didn't quite like it as much as I did CO. Next I got Mandrake 8.0 and I liked it better then RH so I kept it around for awhile.
    [/quote]

My one possible convert started with Caldera as well. I think it was a newer release than yours. I could have swore that it had a 2.2 kernel, like a 2.2.13, but could be wrong.

Now he is into RedHat 8 and kinda liked SuSE 8. But he likes the fact that RH is free. So that is probably the main reason.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=6093;start=0#58150 date=1042919467]
    [quote author=GhostDawg link=board=13;threadid=6093;start=0#57989 date=1042752586]
    My first experience was with Caldera's Openlinux 1.2 with kernel 2.0.35 and this was around 1998. Then I tried RH which I started hearing more & more about but didn't quite like it as much as I did CO. Next I got Mandrake 8.0 and I liked it better then RH so I kept it around for awhile.
    [/quote]

My one possible convert started with Caldera as well. I think it was a newer release than yours. I could have swore that it had a 2.2 kernel, like a 2.2.13, but could be wrong.

Now he is into RedHat 8 and kinda liked SuSE 8. But he likes the fact that RH is free. So that is probably the main reason.
    [/quote]

I started with Caldera OpenLinux 2.2. Awe, the days before things got complicated (Debian, Slackware, RH, Corel, etc).

I think Openlinux 2.2 was the latest version out, but I didn't know it. The latest kernel may have been at the 2.2 stage also, again, I didn't know anything about upgrading kernels stuff. I did know that KDE early version was out and I was able to get it installed all by myself! ;D

I started with Red Hat's release just before they started using RPM's ... I think it was 4.2 or 5.0 or something ... I can hardly remember! lol

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=13;threadid=6093;start=0#58241 date=1043004341]
    I started with Caldera OpenLinux 2.2. Awe, the days before things got complicated (Debian, Slackware, RH, Corel, etc).
    [/quote]

??? Weren't Debian and Slackware around before OpenLinux? I thought Slackware was the first thing out after SLS Linux...

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=praetorian link=board=13;threadid=6093;start=0#58372 date=1043123035]
    [quote author=stryder144 link=board=13;threadid=6093;start=0#58241 date=1043004341]
    [/quote]

??? Weren't Debian and Slackware around before OpenLinux? I thought Slackware was the first thing out after SLS Linux...
    [/quote]

Yes, but, not on my computer. I started with OpenLinux but didn't like it that much. Debian and Slackware are my favorites and I find it hard to decide which one will be THE distro of choice for my computer. Arghh. The other distros were just road bumps in my Linux quest.

My oldest kid. He tried for years to get us to use linux. Now that I've quit work and have time, I think it's great. Weaned off windows several months ago. ( I don't HAVE to use a computer, so I can do that ) The hardest part is the spelling. Is it 3l33t or l33t or llama ? I'm pretty sure I'm one of those.

31337, 1337

Usually 1337.

Don't forget ub3r (super), w00t, and your usual words with ck:

h4x0r3d (hacked) fux0r3d (fucked)

And of course b0rk3d. (foobared) ;D