Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who do you know?

Re:Who do you know?

Well outside of my LUG, my friend at school is the only person who I know uses *nix. Most of my school friends aren't into computers so I don't know any die-hard ms addicts.

Try to find someone who uses Linux on Macs. ;D

I have a very good friend who runs his web and mail servers on Linux, who dual boots SuSE and NT, and who's job makes him run RedHat on a laptop.
    Geez...That must suck. I'm forced to use Win2K. :

Kind Mastermind

One of my good friends from Washington turned me on to Linux in 1997. Sadly, I was less than enthusiastic about. Now I am experimenting more and more now that I have learned as much as I have. That, of course, makes Linux more enjoyable.

I have only one friend here who uses Linux. He prefers to use VMWare and run Linux on top of WinXP. He's a little demented.

Cheers

I know a FreeBSD fanatic, Debian user, Mandrake user, a few Red Hat users and (if you coun't them) a few Mac OS X users.

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=13;threadid=6093;start=0#57977 date=1042743311]
    I have only one friend here who uses Linux. He prefers to use VMWare and run Linux on top of WinXP. He's a little demented.
    [/quote]

;D

I know the teacher who manages the Linux Lab at school for once, and of course all the Linux User who come there to hang..

Then a good buddy of mine was a Linux user (He switched to FreeBSD but I guess that still counts)

I converted a few heretics myself... and then there's the local LUG (+300 active-semiactive members right now I I think - I know quite a few of them)

Well most people I know are older and started computers later then me. So naturally they get windoze with their computer and kinda stuck on it.

I do try to convert others to use Linux and see what they are missing. :P

The reason I got into linux is because I am always trying new & different things. I used to read about linux in computer magazines and always wanted to try it out.

My first experience was with Caldera's Openlinux 1.2 with kernel 2.0.35 and this was around 1998. Then I tried RH which I started hearing more & more about but didn't quite like it as much as I did CO. Next I got Mandrake 8.0 and I liked it better then RH so I kept it around for awhile.

I've converted a few people, but then of course, they are overwhelmed by having to do anything to maintain it, so they re-format the entire drive, and re-install Win.

I do know one person that has stuck with it though. He just started about 2 months ago, and is picking it up fairly quick. He has no intentions what so ever to switch back.

hehe i converted my neighbor to linux and he thought it was awesome, then one dark cold day he was rooted/hacked and he hasnt used it since. :-\

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=13;threadid=6093;start=0#57997 date=1042757827]
    hehe i converted my neighbor to linux and he thought it was awesome, then one dark cold day he was rooted/hacked and he hasnt used it since. :-\
    [/quote]

I warned him first