Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Networking 101 help

Thread: Networking 101 help

Networking 101 help

Hey everyone,

Ok I haven't yet gotten my router to see my linux box's hostname, so I can't connect to it via that name yet... I was hoping that I could get some (patient) help with this... I thought I new enough about networking to get this done but thats not correct at all! I tried the RH list but didn't seem to get a lot of help on it... of course then I was just using command line and now I do have GNOME to work with gui tools now.

Please help a frustrated networking idiot :P

Re:Networking 101 help

Could you please tell us what you are trying to do, and how you are coming to the conclusion that the router is not seeing your hostname. Also what router are you using? You might want to check your router and see if you can set the domain name, and set hostnames with MAC addresses.

If you are just trying to connect to the router for internet networking purposes, and can't seem to connect to the the router, and can't ping the router, you might have a setup prob on your box. Make sure your adress scheme is the same as the router (like the 192.168 private non-routable IP range), and the IP is not being used by anything else, and that your 'route' is set to the correct default gateway, which should be your router (assuming your router gives the internet access). Type 'route', and if "default gw" does not have your router address, that is your problem. Just type: route add default gw 192.168.x.xxx (Depending on what your router address is. I would type it out if I knew what router it was.)

Also, since you mentioned RH, I assume you are using it. If you use 'setup' you have to drop to 'init 1' and bring it back to 'init 3 or 5' or reboot for the networking changes to take effect.

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=4;threadid=6060;start=0#57626 date=1042318864]
    Could you please tell us what you are trying to do, and how you are coming to the conclusion that the router is not seeing your hostname. Also what router are you using? You might want to check your router and see if you can set the domain name, and set hostnames with MAC addresses.
    [/quote]
    Sorry about that. I have a Netgear MR314 router and there is a Maintenance section that shows the DHCP table with host names, ip numbers and MAC addresses, but I haven't seen how to set the host names with the MAC addresses for PCs on the router. And yes I'm running RH8.0... Man I forgot a lot of essentials

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=4;threadid=6060;start=0#57626 date=1042318864]
    If you are just trying to connect to the router for internet networking purposes, and can't seem to connect to the the router, and can't ping the router, you might have a setup prob on your box. Make sure your adress scheme is the same as the router (like the 192.168 private non-routable IP range), and the IP is not being used by anything else, and that your 'route' is set to the correct default gateway, which should be your router (assuming your router gives the internet access). Type 'route', and if "default gw" does not have your router address, that is your problem. Just type: route add default gw 192.168.x.xxx (Depending on what your router address is. I would type it out if I knew what router it was.)
    [/quote]
    I can get to the internet just fine, that portion of the router worked like a charm!!!!!!!!!! But it just won't pick up the name of my linux box. So if I could just get it to do that I think my home networking would be just about complete that is until I get some wireless stuff And the out put of 'route' shows the following:
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
    127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
    default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
    Also, since you mentioned RH, I assume you are using it. If you use 'setup' you have to drop to 'init 1' and bring it back to 'init 3 or 5' or reboot for the networking changes to take effect.
    [/quote]
    Not sure what you're talking about here... The RH install setup?

If I'm still not answering your questions, I'm sorry. Oh Thanx and TIA

On the 'setup' thing, I was talking about the WHOA! Sorry. Switched to 1600x1200, and the Mozilla AA Fonts kicked in. Aynways, I was talking about if you go into CLI, you can type 'setup' and get to RH's setup application. Anyways......

In your Netgear, you should be able to add your hostname and MAC address of your NIC in your RH bocks. How, I don't know. Never used a NetGear router. It shouldn't effect your network if your allow the IP of your boxen to roam freely. If not, add filters to allow whichever IP's to accept and send to and from certain ports.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so here it goes.

I think I'm gonna have to run my apache server on a different port... I tried to route a port through my router to linux box with my apache server on it and when I typed in my internet seeable IP from my PC is just showed me the log in for my router!!! Not good! I'm hoping it just sent me there because the router recognised the fact that the request came from inside my LAN. I can only hope!!!!

<edit>Wow I am impressed now...Kinda! The router recognised that the IP was internal and just sent me to the routers login page so that is kinda cool. </edit>

Is it hard to get a DNS server running? I'm thinking on making my laptop do that for my LAN. I think that the router just isn't doing a sufficient job at DNSing. Let me know if you think that this is a good idea or not.