Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

A Simple Word Processor - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Simple Word Processor

Re:A Simple Word Processor

[quote author=dbeast link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#57737 date=1042489715]
    I thought I'd try Ted after reading this thread. d/l'd the ted212i86.rpm file converted it to deb with alien, installed with dpkg & cant find the binary. find found /usr/share/ted/Ted with a buch of subdirs with fonts & doc stuff & an empty bin subdir. any ideas? I'm running Libranet 2.7
    [/quote]

/usr/local/bin/Ted on my SuSE 8 box.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#57741 date=1042490412]
    What's wrong with KVim ?
    [/quote]

Well, it's freaking vim for one thing... :P

Seriously, vim is not the tool for the job- I want a simple word prossesor that can be used to write freeform manuscripts and which can format the paragraphs, provide page numbers, footnotes and so forth to be printed on paper. Ted is designed to do this. Vim is not.

Oh... I figured LaTeX maybe an option but it seems that you want some WYSIWYG program. If LaTeX can provide you with what you need I would recommend Kile as your environment it's very well designed and it has options of saving to PDF as you wanted.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#57782 date=1042545292]
    Oh... I figured LaTeX maybe an option but it seems that you want some WYSIWYG program. If LaTeX can provide you with what you need I would recommend Kile as your environment it's very well designed and it has options of saving to PDF as you wanted.
    [/quote]

No, LaTeX is not the right tool- it is great (unbeatable) for writing highly structured documents, but not so good (without a lot work) at being just a plain type-writer for freeform documents.

BTW- I have used LaTeX and prefer to do the markup in a plain text editor rather than an "environment". Kate is really quite suitable for doing markup.

[quote author=cga link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#57825 date=1042593204]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#57782 date=1042545292]
    [/quote]
    BTW- I have used LaTeX and prefer to do the markup in a plain text editor rather than an "environment".
    [/quote]

...and then ViM and LaTeX came about to form a perfect whole. ;D

If that doesn't suit you, nedit (and prolly most *more friendly* editors) has a built-in print function. Then you have ispell for your spelling.