Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

A Simple Word Processor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Simple Word Processor

A Simple Word Processor

I have wanted for some time to find a program that was a very basic word processor for writing freeform prose. Something small and fast, stable, and without a bunch of other "office" crap like spreadsheets and drawing programs- no Star Office or K Office or Hancom Office- no OFFICE. Just a basic program to write with. Something kind of like M$ Wordpad with a few extras like spelling, footnotes and such. Something that I could write with and print to paper or to PDF.

I found it.

http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted

And I like it very, very much.

Re:A Simple Word Processor

Ted is good for rtf files, but I typically prefer kwrite for most text editing.

What about Abiword, too bulky?

I prefer abiword over kwrite. It opens faster, has more options, takes up less resources, and just looks a little nicer.

I use to only use kwrite for all my text editing needs. Anymore, for text editing I will use pico; for anything more than simple note jotting/text editing, it's abiword all the way.

For full fledged report building, OO cannot be beat.

Cool

Yep, I like both of those, Abiword & Pico myself.

[quote author=ph34r link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#57325 date=1041909215]
    Ted is good for rtf files, but I typically prefer kwrite for most text editing.
    [/quote]

I prefer Kate for text editing, which is a differet thing from a writing program. In a writing program, I need to format the output for printing on paper, which nice margins, double spacing and so forth. I also like to be able to add footnotes and page numbers and whatnot.

[quote author=MasterC link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#57347 date=1041937769]
    I prefer abiword over kwrite. It opens faster, has more options, takes up less resources, and just looks a little nicer.

I use to only use kwrite for all my text editing needs. Anymore, for text editing I will use pico; for anything more than simple note jotting/text editing, it's abiword all the way.

For full fledged report building, OO cannot be beat.

Cool
    [/quote]

I have never really cared much for Abiword, myself, though I do think it is a good program and I certainly don't have anything bad to say about it. It is still a tad more program than what I was after, which, as I said, was essintially a supped-up version of M$ Wordpad.

I use Kate over Kwrite for doing HTML markup- that's a whole different animal. Or do you mean KWord from the K Office suite? I don't like K Office all that much. I actually have gone to using vi as my "system editor" when in console or a terminl window (what can say?).

I have rather a love/hate relationship with StarOffice/OpenOffice. They are good at being what they are (M$ Office Clones), but I hate what they are (M$ Office Clones) because I hate M$ Office. For writing a big, structured document, like a report, LaTeX is the best tool. My job, however, makes me use Word. I don't write big structured reports or anything at home- I write prose, and I need to be able to print it as a manuscript. TED does this and does it well.

Its all about using the right tool for the job

Kind Mastermind

cga...once again, you have managed to turn me on to another jem of a program. I read a great article by the Cooking with Linux guy Marcel (I forget his last name which I'm pretty certain I can't pronounce correctly anyway) about several programs that use very little in the way of system resources (hard drive space, memory foot print, etc). I believe that this program would have been right at home in that article. What I am most interested in is it's ability to to do the pdf thing using Ghostscript. I want to be able to make several of my writings available in pdf format and this looks like a good deal for me.

Cheers

I thought I'd try Ted after reading this thread. d/l'd the ted212i86.rpm file converted it to deb with alien, installed with dpkg & cant find the binary. find found /usr/share/ted/Ted with a buch of subdirs with fonts & doc stuff & an empty bin subdir. any ideas? I'm running Libranet 2.7

What's wrong with KVim ?