Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a major upgrade to my webpage

Re:Help with a major upgrade to my webpage

[quote author=rick420 link=board=4;threadid=6023;start=0#57375 date=1041970270]
    Why do people think flash is evil? Just because it doenst work properly on yoru box? Flash can be VERY nice looking, and isnt that slow. Ive seen some sites that are simply breathtaking b.c they used flash
    [/quote]

Flash has it's place as a semi interactive technology geared more for TV like interaction. It's great for animated shorts and little web games but thats about the extent of it's real use ... after that you just end up in a crazy overkill of animations a lot like how people used animated GIF's in the early days of WWW.

Advisor

My personal opinion of flash:

At one point in time (before i jumped into the Linux world) I was a flash master, you could ask me just about anything refering to Flash 5 and I probably still know the answer. And if used correctly, flash is great. But, and here's the big part, the but, if used incorrectly it is extremely annoying / agravating / stupid / <insert insult here>. For a site that is really mean to server content and or information, flash is not the answer, also, it is slow for dynamic data (although apparently this improved with flash MX (6) ). On the other hand, if you want to make a site that is kinda fun, and more entertainment oriented, if implemented correctly, including a HTML only version available, flash can be great.

Unfortunately, it seems that at the current time, flash is used more for evil than good, and often poorly implemented. Due to this it is being hated by more and more people, and with good reason. If all of the web developers out there had the right idea about what flash should and shouldn't be used for, i belive that the technology could be great, but it is evident that a LARGE number of flash developers just don't get it, so it's facing more and more hatred.

-my 2c

Good Guru

[quote author=PK link=board=4;threadid=6023;start=0#57557 date=1042243598]
    Unfortunately, it seems that at the current time, flash is used more for evil than good, and often poorly implemented. If all of the web developers out there had the right idea about what flash should and shouldn't be used for, i belive that the technology could be great, but it is evident that a LARGE number of flash developers just don't get it, so it's facing more and more hatred.
    [/quote]
    Don't hold your breath that people will get it ..... ( research had proven that there are more stupid people )

Any given technology is invented with a great idea and usefulness orginally but how it was implemented and/or used defined how people sees it. I've seen sites that have moving buttons and they were used with flash ( how hard it's to code with Java and achieved the same result?? ). Some site have moving text saying " Welcome" and then "to my" and then " homepage" and that is done with flash. How stupid can it get? The same result can be achieved with GIF in much more efficient use of bandwidth.

I have yet to see one useful thing being done with Flash except commercial banners.

MM Flash is nice. The fact that they don't provide Linux/UNIX drivers that work flawless, and aren't upgraded, is BS. Here is one site that took a Flash makeover that I was very impressed with. If you don't have a fast connection, don't bother.

Last Rites

Some might not like the content, but I'm showing off the Flash.

Good Guru

[quote author=rick420 link=board=4;threadid=6023;start=0#57375 date=1041970270]
    Why do people think flash is evil? Just because it doenst work properly on yoru box? Flash can be VERY nice looking, and isnt that slow. Ive seen some sites that are simply breathtaking b.c they used flash
    [/quote]

Well above, I was mainly being an asshole. But I dislike flash because every moron web master decided to download a warez copy of <insert flash authoring tool here + HTML tool + everything else these bozos can't pay for> and decide to go apeshit with flash animations and this and that. Very few implementations of flash have been worth it. Few. Now, the few I have seen, were superb implementations of using the right tool for the right job. The java and flash on their page was setup in a very unobtrusive and IMHO clever way.

The one that stands out in my memory was my geek rivals' site. It is unfortunately not up. It can serve as a lesson to anyone who wants to know good web design style.