Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Help with a major upgrade to my webpage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a major upgrade to my webpage

Help with a major upgrade to my webpage

I am pretty familiar with HTML but think I want to spice up my webpage. Better graphics, although nothing that would cause a long period of load for a dialup connector. What should I be learning to do? Java, PHP etc...

Also what exactly does MySQL provide a normal webpage builder?

This should be a fun thread.

Ras

Re:Help with a major upgrade to my webpage

[quote author=Rastar link=board=4;threadid=6023;start=0#57298 date=1041886477]
    Also what exactly does MySQL provide a normal webpage builder?
    [/quote]

<DarkHelmetVoice> Absolutely nothing! </DarkHelmetVoice>

MySQL doesn't really give anything to a normal HTML developer, it does however give great web-app support using php, perl, etc ....

While javascript and applets are nice in some instances they can be extreamly anoying in others. Only use them when you need a fast, small intereactive web-app

your next step should be [s]FLASH[/s] IMHO

Moderator Abusing Rights :: That is sick. Change it now. You are a corrupt being > How dare you lead this fellow down the path of evil.

:P

Good Guru

I HATE Flash. It gives absolutely nothing in functionality above normal GIF file can do for simple web pages.

If you want nicer graphics, learn how to do color coordination in GIMP or Photoshop ( that's a hell of a lot to learn though since there are those who make a living out of it ).

PHP and Java would also be a good thing but I would give PHP a first shot if you want dynamic web pages such as spooling of news and contents from different area/sites.

For dial up users, keeping the web pages simple and clean code-based would be a great benefit to them as well as NOT using extra craps like FLASH.

Using database won't give your site any speed nor functionality unless you want to server database driven application such as querying user names with their information. Example is a grocery store let visitors look for their nearest stores via zip code or address. Another would be a site like this where the forum is based on database ( MySQL ) and so forth.

Until now, if you are sticking with static web pages, it's time to learn dynamic stuff ( PHP? ) since it will be the way of the future and if you ever take the job as web developer, it's highly unlikely that you will be dealing with static pages more than dynamic stuff.

Just my 2 cents worth ......

FLASH is not evil, and that WAS an abusive move on your part. sheesh. FLASH is only bad when its not used properly, or when the developer does not take into account that thier are users with slow web connections.

I will post proof soon.

Mentor

FLASH alone is not evil, it's just a technology. However it is being so widely abused on the Internet that it really looks evil. My browser opens all flash content with /bin/false ;D.

Why do people think flash is evil? Just because it doenst work properly on yoru box? Flash can be VERY nice looking, and isnt that slow. Ive seen some sites that are simply breathtaking b.c they used flash

Mentor

[quote author=rick420 link=board=4;threadid=6023;start=#57375 date=1041970270]
    Why do people think flash is evil? Just because it doenst work properly on yoru box? Flash can be VERY nice looking, and isnt that slow. Ive seen some sites that are simply breathtaking b.c they used flash
    [/quote]
    It was working perfectly on my box. But when websites starting to use it for useless intros and really annoying ads, I disabled it. When I'm on the Internet I want to get information fast, not being amused by breathtaking stuff. The two areas should be clearly separated.

Thanks everyone.... Looks like I may have found the answer. When I complete it I will post the address so that you may determine who was right ;D

On to my next topic.

Have you ever went to a webpage that had a small video (Flash or whatever) and at the bottom was a click here to enter the site non-flash or flash. Okay what was the purpose if you just made those folks wade through a small video. What would you do if you went to a site and the index.html was a black screen or something like that and all it had was a banner (website ad) and two buttons. Click for Graphical and or Click for Non-Graphical. Does anyone think that this is a great concept. Of course the two buttons would feed to index1.htm and index2.htm. Depending.

Thanks,
    Ras