Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

ATI TV Tuner VE (BT 8x8) Under linux-help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI TV Tuner VE (BT 8x8) Under linux-help

Associate

ATI TV Tuner VE (BT 8x8) Under linux-help

Recently got back to linux with a good old slack 8.1 on an athlon 800. So far I got most of what I want working; ipmasq, sound, vnc, x, etc. But one problem remains: I can't seem to get good instructions (or figure it out on my own) for getting my tv tuner to work. XawTv screws up during make, and I'm not sure what else I can try. But what I would like to do is get Xaw and or a package like Freevo or MythTv working so that I can get a complete Tv Watching/Recording package.

Well that was pretty long winded. Help anyone?

Good Guru

Re:ATI TV Tuner VE (BT 8x8) Under linux-help

Sorry to tell ya that you are essentially SOL with that card. I have it and eventually on the GATOS site somewhere I got the lovely clue in on that. Essdentially ATI is a bunch of assholes. Unlikle nVIDIA, they are flat out unwilling to do more than necessary, ya know to woo the hardworking customer in. It took God knows how long to get them to make Radeon drivers, and I dont think that their TV cards are going to be officially supported except tor the Radeon AIW variety. Basically they are refusing any support, even in reverse engineering (not suprised though, I prolly wouldnt do that either)

Now dont feel bad. You should laugh at me. I bought a VE because I thought ATI was well supported under Linux, including the TV Wodnder VE. Nope. OLD cards and some neweer ones work flawlessly and with the full feature set. I never did look at a website and saw a "It works fine", or even at all.

I believe that everyother Brooktree based card on the market will work, even BT878 (I think thats the chipset....) is supported in the OSS software, just that ATI has another singnal co-processor that is totally fucking up all of the efforts of the drivers.

I believe that Hauppage makes the best supported for Linux TV cards

EDIT::: Here is a URL of Gatos -- http://gatos.sourceforge.net/supported_cards.php

Associate

believe it or not i think I got everything working now using bttv and xawtv except one little thing: the actual dev file. Anyone know what the major/minor numbers are for this thing or where to find them? Its /dev/video0

Associate

hmm i set it up sorta...check around the kernelly stuff, found i should try an mknod of the 81 0 variety...so i did, and it still doesn't quite work, stuff goes to black screen when i try to play. But i've seen other people on the web get it to work, so I'll just keep tryin i guess. For now though, its sleep time.

Associate

actually one last question before bed: on x4 with an nvidia card using the real nvidia drivers, should I enable DGA, because TV apps seem to want it (what is dga exactly anyways, and why does my XConfig have it disabled by default?)

someone should use the edit feature more often...

unless of course he is trying to cheat with his post count :P

Associate

look whos talking : , anyways, anyone wanna actually explain dga?

DGA is short for Direct Graphics Access and is a means for a program to bypass the X-Server and directly modifying the framebuffer memory. Technically spoken this happens by mapping the framebuffer memory into the memory range of your process. This is allowed by the kernel only if you have superuser privileges. You can get these either by logging in as root or by setting the suid bit on the mplayer excecutable (NOT recommended!).

There are two versions of DGA: DGA1 is used by XFree 3.x.x and DGA2 was introduced with XFree 4.0.1.

DGA1 provides only direct framebuffer access as described above. For switching the resolution of the video signal you have to rely on the XVidMode extension.

DGA2 incorporates the features of XVidMode extension and also allows switching the depth of the display. So you may, although basically running a 32 bit depth XServer, switch to a depth of 15 bits and vice versa.

However DGA has some drawbacks. It seems it is somewhat dependent on the graphics chip you use and on the implementation of the XServer's video driver that controls this chip. So it does not work on every system ...

http://carnagepro.com/pub/Docs/Mplayer/video.html

Associate

After reading about DGA actually is thanks to your post, I decided to enable it. So then I restarted X, ran zapping, it crashed, so I tried Xawtv, and it...uhh...worked ;D. Then I saw audio wasn't working, so i tried actually plugging in the audio cable to my soundcard, unmuted via the gmixer, and well i'd say its working just about as well as it ever will. Thanks for the help.

Good Guru

well, you got it working then eh? Sweet. I gave my card to a friend on an indefinite loan, so I may have to call him up for collection purposes if you are correct ;D

Anyway, it was almost 2 years ago when I bought it, and I paid attention for about 9 months, with hope of it eventually working. They gave up at gatos, and so did I.

Thanks again, though.