Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linksys Router/Switch

Re:Linksys Router/Switch

The reason I said that Tolstoy, was that it seemed that people thought it was an internal network issue.

Good Guru

[quote author=tolstoy link=board=4;threadid=6002;start=0#57352 date=1041943083]
    Just for the hell of it, did you try cycling your cable modem before you plugging your router into it?[/quote]
    Yeah, that's the good suggestion.

I can tell you for a fact that if I unplug my computer and then plug in my router into my cable modem, it won't route traffic or get an IP until I've turned the modem on and off once.
    It's due to that they maintain the dynamic routing table. So if you change the box on the fly, it won't recognize that you have a new box plugged in.

At often times, I need to do the following for my ATT Broadband router.

1. Totally power off my cable modem for more than 3 minutes.

2. Without anything plugged in ( or physically things plugged in but not powered on ), I need to restart the cable modem.

3. When all the lights on cable modem are good ( all green except email LED ), then I would power up my router.

4. Only after that, I can use other computers in the network.

5. Otherwise, at times, it woun't router at all.

May be that's the problem you may/may not be having.

I have tried all suggestions on th board so far and nothing seems to work. I contacted my ISP (tampabay.rr.com) and they have told me that their should be no problems and told me all the informaiton that is usually needed for a router (which I allready had).

I am not betting that it is a bad WAN port. The LINK LED on my router doesn't stat lit when connected, it blinks on and off with the ACT LED.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully this will eventually work out :P.

EDIT:
    I just tried setting the router to get an address from a homegrown DHCP server in house and it didn't get a thing!

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=4;threadid=6002;start=0#57372 date=1041969486]
    I am not betting that it is a bad WAN port. The LINK LED on my router doesn't stat lit when connected, it blinks on and off with the ACT LED.
    [/quote]
    Do you own the modem???? If not call R/R and tell them you have No activity on the Link light and have them replace it for "FREE". It does happen, bad modem/routers

Ras
    Off to sub-tropic Korea for a week. TTYAL

Hey Ashcrow,
    I don't know if this will help but I recently worked on a similiar problem for a friend of mine. His cable modem (attbi) would sporatically reset itself every 5-10 minutes. I know this doesn't apply to you but his Linksys router had a builtin wireless access point and after a day of trying to make the damn thing work I decided to physically move the router about 4 feet away from the modem and BAM everything worked as it should. I guess that RF interference from the router was doing strange things to the modem.

I know this is a *major* longshot but might be worth a try. The only other thing I can think of is checking to make sure the PPPoE client on router is not running. IIRC this doesn't happen by default on the Linksys but still worth checking out.

Good Luck,

Stix

Have you tried resetting the router and the modem? Try in this order:
    reset the modem. Wait, then reset the router (hold the button for 30 seconds).

After it's reset, your password will return to admin, so change that first, then check out the rest of the settings (such as obtain IP automatically).

Cool

Good Guru

Ash try this for size. Lets unplug the cable modem from the gateway. Power off the cable modem for 5 minutes. Power off the gateway, and when the 5 minutes are up reattatch the gateway, and try to grab an IP. If it can't, reset the unit to defaults and try it then. Most gateways really dont even need to be touched for basic access on Time Warners networks around here, and may apply to your CO as well.

I am betting on it being a bad setting or a flaky cable, but we really should have found it by NOW!! You do know your shit -- I dont get why this is dragging on. Its probably something REALLY simple.

Its probably something REALLY simple.
    Probably LOL. I have been trying suggestions but it's still no go. I have never had this many problems with a router in my life! Usually it's simple ... plug it in, configur it for about 5 minutes and go!

I am going to post my talk with tech support so you guys can have a laugh ....

ok here it is in the order it happened I am in plain text and he is in quotes....

Hello,

I recently bought the BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router and have not been able to get it working correctly. I have followed all the steps in the quick start manual and have looked through the extended manual and have not found a way to fix my problem.

My problem is at the router/network level: the router can not obtain a dhcp address from my ISP (which is what they use). I talked to someone at my ISP (tampabay road runner) and they told me that I don't need any special hostname or domain name and that the dhcp should work fine. Even
    after spoofing the MAC address to my old MAC address it still did not work.

For some odd reason it did work twice, both times I did nothing diffrent and the conneciton seemed to work, but at a very reduced speed (20k/s or less).

Any and all help would me much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Dear Mr. Steve,

Thank you for contacting Linksys Customer Support.
    First, try to perform a hard reset on your router. In doing this you need a pointed object to hold the reset button all through out the procedure. Before doing the hard reset, disconnect all the devices that is connected to your router and have a copy of the settings that you have applied in your
    router. (http://192.168.1.1 <http://192.168.1.1/> )

1. Press and hold the reset button.
    2. Wait for about 30 seconds and then unplug the power adapter.
    3. Wait for another 5 seconds and then replug the adapter.
    4. Wait for the DIAG light to turn on and then off before
    releasing the button.
    5. Put your network back together and then test it if it will work.

The router should now be restored to factory default settings and you should be able to enter the setup page using the default password admin. You may now reconfigure your router to the settings that it had previously.

After ensuring a good physical connection among your wireless devices, you may now configure your router to work with your ISP. If you are using a cable ISP, in the Set-up Page of the router's web base utility (http://192.168.1.1 <http://192.168.1.1/> ) select "obtain IP Automatic" as
    WAN connection type then hit apply. If you are nected to a DSL ISP, select "PPPoE" as WAN connection type. You also need to do the MAC Address cloning under the Advance tab, input the Physical Address of the PC
    registered to your ISP (in the command prompt, type ipconfig/all then copy physical address). In the Filters Page, make sure you have disabled SPI while enabling Block WAN Request, MultiCast Passthrough and MTU and try
    to assign size values such 1382 or 1400 or 1450 or 1492 and see which has the most stable connection.

If you are running your PC with WinXp, you need to disable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) or other third party Firewall software to avoid conflict, your router will provide the NAT Firewall on your network.

Check also if you have disabled Proxy Server in the internet option and verify the browser security level of the internet if it is set to medium-low.

I have attached in here a file that will guide you through this
    procedure.

If you still encounter same difficulty, kindly try to send us the
    following information for our reference:

1. Router's firmware version
    2. complete model of your modem

I hope this will help you in dealing with your technical difficulties.

Thank you again and have a nice day!

If you have further questions, please contact us at (800) 326-7114 or send us an email at support@linksys.com so that we may further assist you. Please use this phone number given as reference for future support calls.

Sherwin M. Nebres
    Product Support Representative
    LINKSYS

If you are responding to this e-mail, please attach all previous correspondence as a point of reference.
    I followed the instructions but still have not been able to get my router working.

My cable modem name/model is Toshiba PCX1100U 'Cable Modem' and the firmware version is aug 2002 version (it says version 2 as well ...) (NOTE: I emailed him back with the correct firmware information, it was at the latest). I still have not been able to get an IP address from Road Runners DHCP
    server and have tried crossover cables and patch cables (which is what I have been using for my PC).

All the physical connections work fine, I am able to ping and connect to computers on the network using the Linksys router ... the only problem is the router getting an IP address.

Steve

Dear Mr. Steve,

Are you able to access the internet without the router attached on your network, meaning PC directly connected to the modem? Please advise

If you have further questions, please contact us at (800) 326-
    7114 or send us an email at support@linksys.com so that we may further assist you. Please use this phone number given as reference for future support calls.

Sincerely,

Sherwin M. Nebres
    LINKSYS

If you are responding to this e-mail, please attach all previous orrespondence as a point of reference.
    Yes, I am able to connect to the internet without the router attached to the netowrk. I have one patch cable leading to the cable modem and it is able to getn an IP address via DHCP.

Steve

Dear Mr. Steve,

After discussing the problem you are facing, it appears that the Linksys BEFSR41 router is functioning properly. Since we cannot speak for the other company's hardware and software that you use, we suggest that you contact these other companies to see if they can help you examine their products.

If you have further questions, please contact us at (800) 326-7114 or send s an email at support@linksys.com so that we may further assist you. lease use this phone number given as reference for future support calls.

Sincerely,

Sherwin M. Nebres
    LINKSYS

If you are responding to this e-mail, please attach all previous orrespondence as a point of reference.
    Here is one more question,

Is the Link LED on the WAN port suppose to stay on when connected or blink when packets come through the modem ... because my routers WAN port never has a solid LINK LED on, it just comes on and turns off with the ACT LED.

Steve

Dear Mr. Steve,

The ACT LED on your router's Wan port should be blinking when there is a transmission of data coming from the modem to your router.

If you have further questions, please contact us at (800) 326-7114 or send us an email at support@linksys.com so that we may further assist you. Please use this phone number given as reference for future support calls.

Sincerely,

Sherwin M. Nebres
    LINKSYS

If you are responding to this e-mail, please attach all previous correspondence as a point of reference.
    This is why I want to pull may hair out!

Man, it almost seems that the router is NOT working. I know that Linksys says that it is, but if you can get BootP broadcast ack from the ISP w/o the router, but not w/ the router, it would seem that something very wrong is going on in the router.