Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linksys Router/Switch

Re:Linksys Router/Switch

I put up a really low-budget pet awhile ago.

But what I did, is allow my linksys to handle the ip address and then assigned static IP's to both boxes in the 192.168.range.

You do this under the last tab and then static IP tab and you just click on the box and it should allow you to enter the domain information.

The next step is to configure your boxes, assign them the same numbers you did in the linksys config browser and the gateways become 192.168.0.1 (I think it could be 192.168.1.1) and allow the linksys to handle the ip grabbing you HAVE to put in your ISP login and password on the linksys page.

Hope it helps, if not I will try to help you as much as I can

Ras

Now check to make sure "Obtain IP automatically" is at the bottom of the first page, if it isn't, go ahead and select it then hit apply.

Let us know how goes so far before I go into the longest schpill on this
    I have it set to obtain IP automatically, but it doesn't seem to be able to retrive it ...

The next step is to configure your boxes, assign them the same numbers you did in the linksys config browser and the gateways become 192.168.0.1 (I think it could be 192.168.1.1) and allow the linksys to handle the ip grabbing you HAVE to put in your ISP login and password on the linksys page.
    The thing is the DHCP works within the network fine. All boxes can ping and connect to eachother using the router, the router just can't get a DHCP IP address from my ISP for some weird reason.

My ISP (road runner) uses MAC addresses as login information so my router is cloned for my assigned MAC.

Thanks for the replies! Any other ideas?

Good Guru

hmmm. Try replacing the cable from the WAN port to the cable modem with a known good one. It should be a straight thru cable -- not a crossver. And for shits and giggles -- have you tried setting up your main box as a DHCP server, and seeing if the gateway can get the IP from you? Perhaps the WAN port is dead. I used to have RR, and all it was is open new box and plug shit in. Set everyone to DHCP and VIOLA! Everyone is online !

I use Netgear, but everyone else I know has a Linksys. No problems with them either.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=6002;start=0#57286 date=1041878041]
    hmmm. Try replacing the cable from the WAN port to the cable modem with a known good one. It should be a straight thru cable -- not a crossver.
    [/quote]

Still no go ...

And for shits and giggles -- have you tried setting up your main box as a DHCP server, and seeing if the gateway can get the IP from you? Perhaps the WAN port is dead. I used to have RR, and all it was is open new box and plug shit in. Set everyone to DHCP and VIOLA! Everyone is online !
    I'll give that a shot tonight when I get back from work. I'll be upset if the WAN port is dead but at least I'll know the problem and be able to stop talking to their tech support!

Thanks guys!

Linksys says it's not their problem, it's road runners problem .... we'll see after this dhcp test!

In the Status tab, at the bottom you have buttons to "DHCP release" and "DHCP renew" try to click them. Starting with first releasing, then renewing.

I don't what the hell is going on around the US, but it's not just you Ashcrow. My cousin who also uses RR (In CA though) is having trouble connecting sometimes. Best thing to do is just keep trying to connect. I don't think the error is between the computer and the chair. I think it's between your modem and the ISP. Mainly the gateway.

DHCP shouldn't make a single difference in this matter what so ever. IT's only providing connectivity to the boxes connecting to the router, but you know that. It doesn't effect your ISP connecting. You should just make sure that your login id is: ascrow@rr.bak.com (is that the right network?), the password is correct, the DNS #'s are correct, and that it's set for dynamic IP, or "Obtain IP Automatcially". From there, go into status, click "Connect" (It has a connect button right?) until you get a connection. If you can connect via a boxen, but not from the router, the error is obvious. If you can't either way, I would guess RR's gateway is being worked on, which wouldn't surprise me.

My problem is with the router not being able to get an IP address from my ISP via DHCP.
    Just wanted to quote that from you Ashcrow. Seems that a lot of people are misunderstanding the question.

Unless he's running an old firmware, I don't think there is a connect button. Just the Release DHCP and Renew DHCP (and DHCP client table).

Cool

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=4;threadid=6002;start=0#57344 date=1041935908]
    My problem is with the router not being able to get an IP address from my ISP via DHCP.
    Just wanted to quote that from you Ashcrow. Seems that a lot of people are misunderstanding the question.
    [/quote]

Yeah but improper cabling can lead to DHCP issues. Trust me on this one. Network troubleshooting should always start at the physical level. You cannot imagine how many times I was like, why can't I ping this host, why isn't this box getting an ip, etc. And after troubleshooting the OS for way toooo long, I find a faulty cable and kick my self in the ass.

I had a linksys a while back and had problems with it too. But what I had to do was press the reset button with a paper clip to get the thiung back to factory settings, and then re-config it.

I'm still betting that this problem is a physical one, and not a configuration one. Just for the hell of it, did you try cycling your cable modem before you plugging your router into it? I can tell you for a fact that if I unplug my computer and then plug in my router into my cable modem, it won't route traffic or get an IP until I've turned the modem on and off once.