Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linksys Router/Switch
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linksys Router/Switch

Linksys Router/Switch

I'm trying to add a router/switch to my home network and have hit a brick wall. The instructions are only for Windows9x-XP, but I have done all the steps nedded (just using Linux).

The problem isn't so much the PC's as it is the router not being able to get ahold of an IP address. I am using DHCP for my router since my box used dhcp to get an IP address from my ISP and it worked 2 times ... otehr than that it doesn't pull up a thing (even when I spoof my NIC to look like the original PC NIC).

All help would be great!

Here is a link to the router ...
    http://linksys.com/Products/product....23&prid=20

Re:Linksys Router/Switch

Change your gateway to 192.168.0.1 in your 'route'.

Should be fine after that. Also, if it has the ZoneAlarm protection, be sure to exempt your DHCP boxes. Personally, I would statically set your box, that way if you have a Win box running off DHCP you don't diable the ZoneAlarm protection.

My route for the dhcp to the net or the route on my personal box? My problem is with the router not being able to get an IP address from my ISP via DHCP.

Ahhhh....My bad. :P

Well, I guess you could always power cycle your modem, and see if that helps any.

Unfortunatly not . It's driving me mad!

this is prolly no real help but i cant think of anything else and it /may/ help

check the cable from the modem to the router, the one ATT gives out with their modems are crap.

[quote author=gorn link=board=4;threadid=6002;start=0#57198 date=1041746645]
    check the cable from the modem to the router, the one ATT gives out with their modems are crap.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the reply gorn. I checked the connections and used another cable but it still doesn't work. It's a weird problem, I can't think what would be causing it.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=4;threadid=6002;start=0#57199 date=1041747330]
    [quote author=gorn link=board=4;threadid=6002;start=0#57198 date=1041746645]
    [/quote]

Thanks for the reply gorn. I checked the connections and used another cable but it still doesn't work. It's a weird problem, I can't think what would be causing it.
    [/quote]

Are you using the right kind of cable? The cable you got from your ISP (that went from your router to your computer) was most likely a crossover cable. To be honest, I can't remember if when going lynksys-to-cable modem you need a straight through cable or a crossover (since the damn thing is both a switch and a router). Either way, your cable can still be good, but might just be the wrong type. See if one of the ports on your switch is marked "uplink" and has a button to cross it over for you.

So far I have tred the cable that comes with the modem and a patch cable. They both work with my box, but not with the router. The instructions say a 'straight through' cable (smart people eh? :) and not a 'crossover' cable.

Hi

I've got the same router (just recently as well), open up a browser and go to:
    http://192.168.1.1

It *should* pop up a "username/password" dialogue box. If this is the first time you've seen this, admin is your password.

Now check to make sure "Obtain IP automatically" is at the bottom of the first page, if it isn't, go ahead and select it then hit apply.

Let us know how goes so far before I go into the longest schpill on this

Cool