Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Perl/Tk Article
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perl/Tk Article

Perl/Tk Article

Time that I updated the perltk article. I have the new version which covers almost the entire source to the current CVS version of LSI. It covers both strictly tk related things and a bit of plain perl as well.

It's grown in length by abou 50% from the previous version. It's definatly rough around the edges ... I finished it at 2:23 am EST when I couldn't sleep .

I am looking for some people to look it over, check for mistakes/typos and point out unclear parts so that I can reword them. I am not a great writer by any means but I figure I should write something!

The article, which is in both open office and doc format, (with pics and source code) can be retrieved at http://thealiensmusic.com/perltk-article2.tar.gz

Good Guru

Re:Perl/Tk Article

Thanks Ashe!

BTW -- I am having a problem with I think the installation of the Tk module. I didnt get all of the test windows you mentioned when I did the i Tk in the Cpan shell. What do you reccomend? Reinstalling the latest RPMS?

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=5999;start=0#57310 date=1041901093]
    Thanks Ashe!

BTW -- I am having a problem with I think the installation of the Tk module. I didnt get all of the test windows you mentioned when I did the i Tk in the Cpan shell. What do you reccomend? Reinstalling the latest RPMS?
    [/quote]

If your distrobution has precompiled packages for perl-tk I would recomend installing them. Also make sure that you have Tk installed on the system (it's not very big and is what is used for make xconfig with the kernel). If your still having problems post back and we'll figure it out.

Good Guru

Thanks!

I do have tk installed. Here is a snippet from your sample helloworld.pl script's barf message ::

[schotty@leinenkugel article2]$ ./helloworld.pl
    Can't locate Tk.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ./helloworld.pl line 5.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./helloworld.pl line 5.
    [schotty@leinenkugel article2]$
    And line 5 would be this :: use Tk;

So what reccomendations ya got?

If you get that error then Perls Tk module either isn't installed or had to many errors to be used properly. If you are using an RPM based distro try getting the Perl-Tk module in that format (most distrobutions have this). If you are using Mandrake you can urpmi it and it should work without any problem at all.

You can also check http://www.perltk.org/binaries but they usually lag a bit behind the ones that the distros put out.

It also looks like you have two versions of perl installed on the system, make sure you installed the module in the version that you are using.

Good Guru

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=5999;start=0#57466 date=1042088384]
    If you get that error then Perls Tk module either isn't installed or had to many errors to be used properly. If you are using an RPM based distro try getting the Perl-Tk module in that format (most distrobutions have this). If you are using Mandrake you can urpmi it and it should work without any problem at all.

You can also check http://www.perltk.org/binaries but they usually lag a bit behind the ones that the distros put out.

It also looks like you have two versions of perl installed on the system, make sure you installed the module in the version that you are using.
    [/quote]

Well as for multiple perl rpms installed -- nope. Just one. I checked via cli and with synaptic, and I have the latest that freshrpms offers.

[schotty@leinenkugel schotty]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep perl
    perl-Filter-1.28-9
    perl-CPAN-1.61-55
    perl-XML-Dumper-0.4-22
    perl-XML-Parser-2.31-12
    perl-DBD-Pg-1.13-5
    perl-SDL-1.19.0-fr1
    perl-libxml-enno-1.02-25
    perl-DBD-MySQL-2.1017-3
    perl-CGI-2.81-55
    perl-libwww-perl-5.65-2
    perl-Parse-Yapp-1.05-26
    perl-DBI-1.30-1
    perl-DB_File-1.804-55
    perl-HTML-Tagset-3.03-25
    mod_perl-1.99_05-3
    perl-HTML-Parser-3.26-14
    perl-DateManip-5.40-27
    perl-XML-Twig-3.05-3
    perl-XML-Grove-0.46alpha-21
    perl-5.8.0-55
    perl-XML-Encoding-1.01-20
    perl-URI-1.21-3
    perl-Video-DVDRip-0.46-fr1
    perl-SGMLSpm-1.03ii-6
    perl-libxml-perl-0.07-25
    [schotty@leinenkugel schotty]$
    and I do have this ( tk-8.3.3-74 ) Tk package installed. I be confused.

Thats good that you have Tk installed but you need the perl developers API installed as well ... it will be someting like this .....

[root@242688hfc33 ash]# rpm -qa | grep perl
    perl-MDK-Common-1.0.3-16mdk
    perl-Locale-gettext-1.01-6mdk
    perl-GTK-GdkImlib-0.7008-24mdk
    perl-HTML-Tagset-3.03-5mdk
    perl-HTML-Parser-3.26-3mdk
    perl-GTK-Glade-0.7008-24mdk
    perl-CGI-2.810-3mdk
    perl-base-5.8.0-13mdk
    perl-DateManip-5.40-4mdk
    perl-URPM-0.70-10mdk
    perl-GTK-0.7008-24mdk
    perl-GTK-GdkPixbuf-0.7008-24mdk
    perl-URI-1.20-1mdk
    perl-XML-Parser-2.31-5mdk
    perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.45-1mdk
    perl-SDL-1.18-6mdk
    perl-Mysql-1.22_19-5mdk
    perl-GTK-Gnome-0.7008-24mdk
    perl-Term-Readline-Gnu-1.12-6mdk
    perl-5.8.0-13mdk
    perl-libwww-perl-5.65-4mdk
    perl-DBI-1.30-2mdk
    perl-XML-Twig-3.05-4mdk
    perl-devel-5.8.0-13mdk
    perl-Tk-800.023-9mdk
    Unfortunatly, I have not beenable to find Red Hat made rpms fpr perl-tk, but I am sure they are out there.

Here are some non-OS-centric rpms ... http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/repository/perl-Tk/

Also, I have fixed a good amount of typos and will be putting up the revised version soon (no diffrence except for better spelling ;-))

Good Guru

Ahh, thanks. Ill try the rpm that you provided to me. I am on dialup, so it may be a bit to finish it ;D

And the typos werent too bad. And I am a spelling nazi out of the land of linux ... :-\

Well I want to thank you for attempting to follow it :-P I'll be adding a section for precompilied binaries since it might be easier on some linux distros/OS's.

I am also going to do some clarifing on the major part of the article since I describe non perl-tk parts (mainly suport sunroutines) as well that are used by the perl-tk chunks parts so that the reader doesn't think they are missing something.

Good Guru

Your welcome. I need to get back into programming in a sick way. I have undertaken a few tasks that should get me into it quickly ;D Your stuff included. As for my problem -- your rpm worked out. I grabbed that RPM and it fixed it. My helloworld.pl had a bug in it, but yours of course worked fine. So I guess I got all of the deps taken care of.