Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

XP / 2k woes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP / 2k woes

Advisor

XP / 2k woes

Here's the deal, I was attempting to network my computer with my brother's laptop, but wasn't having much luck, so I decided to installed win 2k pro on both and hope that having the exact same OS on both might help. Well, turns out it made things a hell of a lot worse, it worked about the same as XP / 98, so i removed the 2k partition on my brother's laptop, now when I try and boot to XP (the only OS on the thing) it does the usual:

Starting Windows...
    | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

thinger, but then this error comes up underneath:

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMd startup options for Windows 2000, press F8.

You can attempt to repari this file by starting Windows 2000 Setup using the otiginal Setup floppy disk or CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

btw, that is indeed supposed to say SYSTEMd, that's what the screen says, although i think it's just the SYSTEM that should be shown in reality.

I booted form the 2k cdrom, and the file \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM does exist, I even tried making a copy as SYSTEMd, but that didn't help. I also reset the MBR, but that also had no effect.

So, apparently it's trying to start windows 2000, when XP is the only OS that's there. But here's the realy kicker, I currently don't have an XP CD here, just 2000 and 98 SE, i'm gonna try and get an XP CD from a friend and do a repair, but is there any other way that I might be able to fix this without the XP CD?

Re:XP / 2k woes

XP doesnt work too well with dual boots...lol It also doesnt like other operating systems nor is it good with when upgrading. Downgrading from XP to 2k can also cause chaos. My best choice is format...lol

However, did u try booting into safe mode (F8/F4 key i think it is), or did u try a system restore (those half the time dont work for me, so I just disabled it, but anyway, worth a try...)?

Lemme know what you come up with.

Advisor

Safe mode doesn't make a difference sadly, and with the repair it doesn't work either. Finally, I got a friends XP (home edition) CD, and reinstalled, now there's 30 days to register, so my brother is just gonna reinstall XP (pro) on top of XP (home). Now it runs, but will only for 30 days.

[me=PK]vows never to screw around with XP on someone elses computer ever again.[/me]

Next time you get that error, instead of doing a simulated repair, go into the recovery console. Once in the shell, insert your CD for XP or 2K (since they both use the same recovery method), and expand the corrupted file.

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32> EXTRACT D:\i386\System32\SYSTEM32.DL_

(EXPAND or EXTRACT. Can't remember)

The location might not be correct, but that will extract the good file and replace the corrupted. OF course that only extracts the SYSTEM32.DLL file. You will notice that all of the files look like deleted files with the last character being '_'.

As for the networking, as long as they are both in the same "Workgroup" it shouldn't be a problem to connect them. If you don't see it on a newtwork browse when trying to connect, just connect directly by typing:

\\NetBIOSnameforSystem\ShareName

in the blank field.

BTW, if you call M$ and tell them what happened, they will give him another key.

Yeah, WinXP has that stupid product activation dealie.

Xp Pro Corporate doesn't have the activation dealie, but then again Pro Corp is really expensive.

Hrm...

Dont overwrite XP Home for Xp Pro. Ive found out Windows Upgrades are BAD. Just format the drive and put Pro back on.

Advisor

ah damn, so I probably couldn've extracted that file again and been good to go? oh well, too late now, my bro left for university again. As for another key, somehow i doubt that they'd give him a new one...since his current one is slightly um......"shady"

My brother doesn't want to format, he's got too much stuff on there that's not backed up, so I think he's just gonna attempt the upgrade when he gets back to university. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Thanks for the input guys, as far as i'm concerned now the problem is solved (as in I no longer have access to the laptop, so can't fix it).

[quote author=BJ250 link=board=25;threadid=5997;start=0#57221 date=1041777087]
    Yeah, WinXP has that stupid product activation dealie.

Xp Pro Corporate doesn't have the activation dealie, but then again Pro Corp is really expensive.

Hrm...

Dont overwrite XP Home for Xp Pro. Ive found out Windows Upgrades are BAD. Just format the drive and put Pro back on.
    [/quote]

XP Pro Corp is also the one everybody warez' as it has no activation dealie. I probably would warez it if I owned PRO just because of that.

lol yeah.

I get quite sick of having to call up those Micro$hit reps for new installation IDs for my Home Edition, I was just thinking I should get Pro Corp and not have to worry about it.

The only problem is if u have a pirated key, XP wont let u update to SP1.

Advisor

[quote author=BJ250 link=board=25;threadid=5997;start=0#57324 date=1041908344]
    The only problem is if u have a pirated key, XP wont let u update to SP1.
    [/quote]

Indeed, my brother has found this and can't update because of it, I keep trying to convince him to go to 2k pro, but he won't listen :