Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Okay CHSI does not offer Static IP affordably. DYNDNS?

Thread: Okay CHSI does not offer Static IP affordably. DYNDNS?

Okay CHSI does not offer Static IP affordably. DYNDNS?

I am soon to be getting High Speed Internet back and since Cox Cable will be my provider I need to figure out the best way to make my domain name linked to a dynamic IP.

First things first System Setup:

Linksys Cable/Dsl router
    (Currently has both boxes assigned ip's in the 198 range)
    Has my old static IP setup.

Redhat 8.0? Latest
    Two Nics eth0 and eth1
    Apache webserver (currently set to port 80)
    Need Mail Server software??? SUGGESTIONS!

Windows XP
    Not worried about setup there as it is the wifes pay bills online box.

I looked over dyndns.org's website and it appears that they offer only their hostnames www.whateveryouwant.dyndns.org
    kind of defeats the purpose of owning my domain name doesn't it?

I know there are dyndns.org users out here so if someone can shed the light for me I would be very happy.

I have heard that if I use my router to grab the IP and leave it on (UPS) it may likely never change is this true? If so can't I just point my domain name to that iP?

Thanks,
    Ras

Advisor

Re:Okay CHSI does not offer Static IP affordably. DYNDNS?

[quote author=Rastar link=board=4;threadid=5989;start=0#57091 date=1041530315]
    Need Mail Server software??? SUGGESTIONS!
    [/quote]
    Exim, postfix

I looked over dyndns.org's website and it appears that they offer only their hostnames www.whateveryouwant.dyndns.org
    kind of defeats the purpose of owning my domain name doesn't it?
    In your own domain zone you just put:
    Code:
    yourdomain.com  IN  CNAME www.whatiwant.dyndns.org
    www.yourdomain.com   IN CNAME  yourdomain.com
    yourdomain.com  IN  MX  0  www.whatiwant.dyndns.org
    And your domain should be all set to be understood as beeing the dyndns name instead of the IP assigned.. Only small issue is that DNS-RFC isn't too keen on using domain names in the MX setting, but it will work.

Else true, you can just use the dyndns name, instead of buying a toplevel domain name.

I have heard that if I use my router to grab the IP and leave it on (UPS) it may likely never change is this true? If so can't I just point my domain name to that iP?
    True, they rarely change... but sometimes they do.

Since we are on the subject of DYNDNS, just wanted to add that D-Link routers with the latest fireware support DYNDNS updating. ;D

I have my own domain esclavosoy.com and it goes through to dyndns BUT you have to donate a total of $30 to do this.

Advisor

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=4;threadid=5989;start=0#57120 date=1041573895]
    I have my own domain esclavosoy.com and it goes through to dyndns BUT you have to donate a total of $30 to do this.
    [/quote]
    No need to, just use something like www.zoneedit.com to host your DNS, and make the changes to your ZOA record yourself.. But then again, if you don't want to mess with that, then you have to pay someone to do it for you.