Thread: Single Disk Distros

Kind Mastermind

Single Disk Distros

Hey everyone, happy new year!

I've been looking into picoBSD recently, mainly because it is a single floppy distro that can provide dial-up capability. Since I have a very stripped down computer (it's way old, a pentium 75) that would make a great candidate for such a server, I was wondering what Linux projects are out there that would provide the same capabilities as picoBSD? I really want to be able to run the computer (I gutted it, so it has nothing but a motherboard, cpu and ram in it right now) and this seems like a worthy job for it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Re:Single Disk Distros

Linux Router Project maybe?

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=5981;start=0#57027 date=1041426892]
    Linux Router Project maybe?
    [/quote]

I went to their site but had a hard time finding the documentation on it. It would seem that the links I tried were dead (might have been my internet connection since it failed not long after I reached their site). I'll try again to access them.

Cheers

I would look into http://www.freesco.org/ I used it along time ago and it was much easier than linux router project. I haven't used it in ages so I don't know what kind of advancements it's had, but on a p75 should work fine. It's a very easy menu driven setup.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Xsecrets link=board=7;threadid=5981;start=0#57085 date=1041524858]
    I would look into http://www.freesco.org/ I used it along time ago and it was much easier than linux router project. I haven't used it in ages so I don't know what kind of advancements it's had, but on a p75 should work fine. It's a very easy menu driven setup.
    [/quote]

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

Cheers

Advisor

I'm not sure if it can get on the net, but I use tomsrtbt for rescue purposes.

Good Guru

hye stryder, I tried picoBSD a while ago, and didnt really like it. OpenBSD is a hell of alot more powerful, simpler to get and use, and stable.

In fact if you have the time, grab the ~100MB install stuff from the ftp site of your choosing, and go over to screaming electron (check my sig) and check out the howto on building a bootable CDRom OS. It needs a bit of RAM for some of the tasks, but for routing small loads of traffic, 128MB should suffice. Note, this will not require ANY HD at all. nada. Hence the stiff ram requirement.

BasicLinux: uses two floppies... or can do a VERY minimal HDD install... don't try it on 8 megs of RAM though.... that doesn't even leave enough to shut the box down :P
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ichi/baslinux.html