Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *box war

Re:*box war

let the war begin...

I have always loved blackbox. I don't like fluxbox tabs, and if you turn em off...it just seems like an overly-complicated blackbox.

Currently though, I have downloaded and am using openbox.

the only of advantage I know of with openbox (vs. blackbox) is that the community is a little more welcoming. Can someone point me in the right direction: b/c to me it seems like the blackbox community is not making much of a scene on the net anymore. I'm pretty sure people are still hacking away at it, but there doesn't seem like there is any one site which combines and publishes the patches, etc. I'll try out openbox, but I will most likely stay between openbox/blackbox for all my needs.

[quote author=BigFatJoe link=board=6;threadid=5976;start=0#59906 date=1045076965]
    let the war begin...

I have always loved blackbox. I don't like fluxbox tabs, and if you turn em off...it just seems like an overly-complicated blackbox.

Currently though, I have downloaded and am using openbox.

the only of advantage I know of with openbox (vs. blackbox) is that the community is a little more welcoming. Can someone point me in the right direction: b/c to me it seems like the blackbox community is not making much of a scene on the net anymore. I'm pretty sure people are still hacking away at it, but there doesn't seem like there is any one site which combines and publishes the patches, etc. I'll try out openbox, but I will most likely stay between openbox/blackbox for all my needs.
    [/quote]

IIRC, if development of BB isn't dead, it's almost stagnant. Hence the creation of OpenBox. That could explain a weak presence. BB is one of the best WMs I've ever seen, but it was created and maintained by one guy. I'm pretty sure he got busy and stopped, so openbox was formed. Then again, I'm just talking out of my ass, so what do I know?

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=6;threadid=5976;start=0#59964 date=1045120321]
    Then again, I'm just talking out of my ass, so what do I know?
    [/quote]

Why does Openbox exist?
    Openbox is the spawn of a number of previous Blackbox users/hackers. Being overall pleased with the window manager, but feeling left unable to contribute, this project was born. It aims to be open for all to contribute to.
    ^from the official site.

you're right and that was exactly what I meant...maybe I just wasn't clear enough. i apologize.

Mentor

Aren't fluxbox and openbox both just offshoots of Blackbox? I started using flux cause I killed KDE, and couldn't be bothered fixing it, and I'd used blackbox before, and then I found out how much I like tabs.

[quote author=CP link=board=6;threadid=5976;start=0#60111 date=1045299614]
    Aren't fluxbox and openbox both just offshoots of Blackbox? I started using flux cause I killed KDE, and couldn't be bothered fixing it, and I'd used blackbox before, and then I found out how much I like tabs.
    [/quote]

yes they are, but this thread I think was commenting on the sublte differences of each - vs. say comparing kde to gnome (apples to oranges in my opinion).

I haven't used flux, because I don't really like the tabs. Also, don't quote me on this, but I think openbox took blackbox and rewrote it with a different codebase.

lastly, the blackbox rendering is so useful and fast I think other WM's also use it.

I've tried Fluxbox and Blackbox and like Flux better...I've neva tried Openbox so I can't say anything about it other then need to give it a try.

On my IBM TP 233mhz system, I installed VectorLinux and Flux and man, does it fly when I start Linux! ;D

Faster then Win98...

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=6;threadid=5976;start=0#60228 date=1045478571]
    Faster then Win98...
    [/quote]

I'm not sure if you dual-boot, or if that was just a general comment: but for all you dual-booters check out litestep. There's also a blackbox port for windows, but last time I ran it (1 yr?) it had some mem leaks and was kinda unstable (I'm sure it was window's fault). Litestep just rocks on windows. It's very customizable - do almost anything you wish with it.

I'm still undecided. Blackbox scared the crap out of me the first time I tried to minimize a program(Iconified it). I've never really liked it.

Fluxbox is cool, reliable. I hate the tabs.

Openbox has a nice look to it, but its highly unstable. Its crashed multiple times when I go to a virtural console.

Waimea: While technically not a *box, its based off them. Transparency is cool, but I want my little bar back at the bottom back...

fan of flux at the office, give me openbox tabs, and I will switch over

AAFonts in openbox is great !

is Waimea technically not a *box, it's derived from *box code..

if it can be considered a *box I takes my vote, it's extremely clean