Thread: Semi- annual DC projects?

Semi- annual DC projects?

Hello everyone,

Well I after looking through my last thread I see that there are some people doing some GAH some SETI and some Zeta Griding(??). Well this is my proposal...

We have a pool of 2-4 DC projects that the LJr community votes on! Then we keep rotating which project is the current running one of the group. So as an example we have GAH, SETI, Zeta Griding, and some other project. So maybe we would switch every 3 months which project is the current one. So we could/would run GAH first, using SETI as an on deck project and/or running on people's "extra" boxes. Then 3 months later SETI would be the major project and Zeta would be runner up and on anyone's "extra" boxes. So on and so forth. The major ideas behind this being, 1. that at least one box is dedicated to our current project, 2. that we get the LJr name out there a little more and 3. that we help science out a little more.

The "extra" box idea would be for people who have more than one PC or processor and want to run more than one project. Maybe some one has a close personal reason to run one of the projects so they can run that one FULL time on an "extra" box and then the current project on another box. The on deck project was just an example on what COULD be done with the "extra" box.

Also maybe we could have a section in PETs for startup scripts and/or rotation scripts. Let me know what you all think. After this, if people seem to be onboard with it, I'll make another poll to see which DC project we should do and put in the pool... maybe we only have 3 in the pool and then the 4th one could be used for some obscure/new project that some one brings to our attention.

Good Guru

Re:Semi- annual DC projects?

Well, definitely a good idea, but needs refinement. I find it pointless for me to interact in SETI. I dont believe in alien/E.T. life, so why the hell would I bother wasting CPU cycles on looking for something that I dont believe exists? And I am sure people have similar concerns over one or more of the remaining DC projects. So, as a refinement idea I propose this modification list:

1. Do it weekly. Week A would be the first project created by LJr, week two the second ... so on.
    2. If you choose not to participate in one or more projects, post so. We can load balance the remaining people can even out the holes that pop up.

The only reason I was thinking on the lines of month long work sessions is because of the older PCs out there. I'm not exactly sure how long it take for some of these work units to be completed. But good points!!

Good Guru

Not to sound rude (I do thank you for taking the time to think about my points), but here is what I have to say about slow machines..

So what? The work is being done, and unless I misunderstand the SETI projects' tool, if it is like GAH, then it doesnt matter since it breaks the work up into 1/300th sections (30 partitions, each further delineated by a 10% chunk). So at worst, you redo 1/300th of the work unit in GAH. There is where no matter what size, it should yield irrelavent. The reason for either weekly or bi-weekly, is to give people that feel one or more the projects doesnt need work (some actually dislike continuing on with GAH/FAH since we have alot of the genome mapped). This will give at least more leway for them to still get into the rotation and such, and not feel like one or more projects is taking more importance than another.

I am sure that this can be refined down alot smoother, but it is a next step to your beginning. I sure wish it wasnt just us considering this (hint hint hint).