Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

slack9 + new nvidia driver
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slack9 + new nvidia driver

slack9 + new nvidia driver

stupid thing... its so simple, you run the nifty little shell script, and bing bang boom, its done.. : not for me it aint...I did a full install of Slack9 today, then grabbed the new nvidia drivers, and ran the script.. I got the "Did not find a precompiled kernel" error, and it decided to download one... that failed (couldn't resolve the domain name - thats my fault tho), then it decided to compile the driver, and then it tells me that it couldnt find my header files.. *sigh*

I have half an hour, and by gollee I am going to get this!

Associate

Re:slack9 + new nvidia driver

Hey I know you probably already know this but the slackware 9.0 iso doesnt come with the kernel headers for the kernel. You need to download them from your favorite mirror and install them. If you have compiled your own kernel i.e. 2.4.20 or 2.4.21 make sure you have a symlink in /usr/src from linux-2.4.20 to linux. The nvidia drivers look for /usr/src/linux when looking for the header files.

Hope this helps a little

where are the kernel headers? I've been looking through my fav mirror for a while, and not been able to find anything...

Option A) Download and pkginstall [ftp=ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-9.0/slackware/k/kernel-source-2.4.20-noarch-5.tgz]ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-9.0/slackware/k/kernel-source-2.4.20-noarch-5.tgz[/ftp]

Option B) Download the kernel source from http://kernel.org, decompress it to /usr/src/ and symlink the source folder to /usr/src/linux.

HTH

how about install /slackware/d/kernel-headers-2.4.20-i386-5.tgz ?

wouldnt that work?

EDIT:
    Yep
    sure does

Try it, I am not sure. Hope it works!

Use the previous version of the drivers--check the nvidia page--thats what I had to do

I have a laptop and a desktop both running Slack 9 + latest Nvidia drivers...they work fine... Of course, I did install the kernel package...

Yup, no probs here. Of course, I did my own kernel before starting the nvidia stuff...

nifty app faster than instlling on you rown but some how i prefer installing it myself.

also as usual i see no difference between drivers. (i guess you would expect that since i don't game(gaming is for kids))