Thread: Apple Marklar???

Apple Marklar???

It seems that Apple has decided to port OSX to the x86 architecture. As someone who has never operated any Macintosh equipment, I'm interested to the point that OSX is unix-based. I'm also given to understand that Apple is just as proprietary abut their OS's as Microsoft, but it's still nice to see a new player on the field.
    Any thoughts?

Re:Apple Marklar???

cool! where did you see this? i can see my self dual booting OS-X and linux...

The core of OS X (GNU/Darwin) is open-source. The top level stuff in OS X is closed source. Anything that runs on GNU/Darwin, should run on OS X though.

Good Guru

I've heard that on CNET radio as well that Apple had decided to port it to x86 to compete with Windows and Linux.

All the stuff that Darwin project covers is open source but the DE and software programs stuff are proprietary.

I wonder how much it would cost tho eh?

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=C++PHREAK link=board=14;threadid=5966;start=0#56929 date=1041219468]
    I wonder how much it would cost tho eh?
    [/quote]

Probably around $100-150 (if they keep the price roughly in the same range as OS X was for the Mac). I would be interested in using it, too (stryder144 is a distro whore).

Advisor

I have heard rumors that it has already been ported to x86, but the code is being gaurded extremely well, and they haven't decided weither or not to release yet. Basically, if they release OS X for x48 their hardware sales will most likely plummet horribly. We'll see though, if they release for x86 I could definitely see myself using it.

Good Guru

I'm guessing the price to be comparable to OSX if not more.

I don't see myself plunging down $ 129 for it though ( and mind you it won't be the only time you have to pay looking at the example that Mac users had to pay twice, once for OSX and another for X.2 upgrade ) and since Linux natively have very nice WMs that do extremely well what I needed to do. And in fact, FreeBSD is a very nice OS as well so why would I want to pay for another bsd-clone? Just for the GUI part of it, I'm already more than satisfied with what I have.

Think about it, would you really have tried all those different Linux distros if you have to pay $ 79 for all those distros and versions?? ( Red Hat sold 6.0 version for $ 49 then it becomes $ 79 with 7.0 version I think ). I don't think so.

I paid for RH 6.0 and 6.2. Then for RH 7.2 in my quest to return to RH on my desktop. All other distros that I tried are because I can try it free.

On the other hand, if it succeeds (We're talking about full OS X w/gui 'n stuff)? then more commercial programs would be ported to a unix environment on i386, making the code closer to working with linux and that should be good for linux as well.