Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What really happens at LUG's?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What really happens at LUG's?

Mentor

What really happens at LUG's?

I know what they are, and I know that pretty much it involves a bunch of linux users meeting. But what usually goes on at these meetings? Like is it something anyone with an interest in linux can attend? Or would you only want to attend events that they organise? Enlighten me.
    Cheers
    CP

Re:What really happens at LUG's?

We drink beer and hack Linux... Sometimes a company will have a challenge for us to solve fx.

one time a fellow Linux user wanted us to help him make old 386 machines run Windows 2000 (wait for it), using Citrix. We ended up with a working solution after about 2 hours of hacking a standard RedHat setup, that was with bootrom chip burning for the terminal PC' NIC. stripping down a 386 PC to total nakedness and then displaying the awesomeness of Windows 2000 Advanced Server on it

So now the old 386 PCs are useful again, all the really do is boot from the bootp chip, find the Linux server and when X has started... BANG it displays the citrix logon screen.. of course the solution is 100% secure, and I would like to see the gradeschool kid who can mess it up.

This setup btw is now in full use on several large schools, and we helped them save a lot of money... ain't that neat?

Mentor

So with little knowledge you couldn't do much, but could learn a hell of a lot? And I really like the beer thing

[quote author=CP link=board=14;threadid=5958;start=0#56837 date=1041069851]
    So with little knowledge you couldn't do much, but could learn a hell of a lot? And I really like the beer thing
    [/quote]

Sure, my LUG at least is littered with clever people... LUGs are especially fun if you live in a big city... I know the LUG in my nations capital is the biggest LUG out there, they have book projects going, translation services, wordlist projects... and of course beer drinking, arranging the annual LinuxForum (think smaller version of LinuxExpo or something like that) and kite flying (??)

Another big favorite in LUGs are the lectures... If you happen to have found an interesting new distro/program/etc. you can take the floor and tell people about it.. You don't have to be an expert or anything, fx. you could do a small talk about setting up an LFS system.. Trust me people will LOVE it....

Mentor

I'm probably going to go along to a few of the meeting at my local LUG next year. I'm just a bit nervous that I'll feel out of place, and as I don't know anyone else who uses Linux, I'll just be this random showing up. But, thanks for the info, it has given me the push I needed I think.
    Cheers
    CP

I went to a local LUG that is just forming.
    I was worried too,that I would not fit in or know enough.
    They made me feel welcomed and were more that happy to answer my questions.
    One of the members came over to my house and helped me with some problems that I had.
    I was so happy to find a person to talk to and come help me with my Linux.
    This is what I have been looking for, for a long time.
    I am so glad that I went to the meeting.
    You will too, they want to help you in any way.

I don't understand this whole fitting in business... why worry.. Linux geeks are usually proud to be social rejects...

I say go, have a brew (if you're allowed or encouraged) chat with the nice geeks...

All of this reminds me that I have to appear more often at my LUG meetings, I don't realy have time since they normally meet on the busiest day of my week, and it's far from my house.. Excuses... to be honest I totally forgot how much fun we have...I especially remember our movie trip where we 10-15 Linux geeks went to see AntiTrust... (Poor turn out considering we have +300 members).

Mentor

I'm 18, I supposed to be worried about not fitting in . Seriously though, I just feel like I don't know that much about linux, and I wasn't too sure what went on there. Like if its all this hacking stuff then I'll have no idea what to do, and I'll be the one asking all the stupid questions and then I'll feel out of place, but I guess I'm just going to have to go along and see.

Once I get where I'm going I'm thinking I just might join a LUG.

i used to go to 2600 meetings (www.2600.com) but havent lately.

the only people not liked were the full of them self people, everyone else regardless of knowledge.

yeah it was pretty cool. there are kinda clicks that sometime argue, but thats not too bad.

i may go to the next one if mother permits (long story)