Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

solder/desoldering iron
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: solder/desoldering iron

solder/desoldering iron

im thinking of getting a soldering iron just to play with, whats the difference between a desolder-er and a solder-er? if the desolder can heat enough to desolder, why couldnt it solder?

thanks

Mentor

Re:solder/desoldering iron

Well I've never heard of a desolderer, but I'm guessing it has some means for removing the solder for the board once its liquid, and it probably isn't as precise as a soldering iron. My freind has a soldering iron and a little tool. Its a spring loaded vacuum pretty much. Just this little tube, you push it down, and when you push the button, it releases and springs back up sucking up the solder, this may be a desolderer for all I know.

Never seen a desolderer, but soldering irons look like well..soldering irons, and aren't all that fancy.

Your question of a desolderer not being able to solder is simple. Two different tools designed for two different things. You can't very well use a hammer to put a lugnut on a car can you?

[quote author=ASCI_Blue link=board=14;threadid=5945;start=0#56693 date=1040882720]
    Your question of a desolderer not being able to solder is simple. Two different tools designed for two different things. You can't very well use a hammer to put a lugnut on a car can you? [/quote]

but do you get a screw undriver and a screw driver?

desolder

solder

basically my question is do i need both, or just a vacuum thing and a soldering iron?

[quote author=gorn link=board=14;threadid=5945;start=0#56696 date=1040889009]
    [quote author=ASCI_Blue link=board=14;threadid=5945;start=0#56693 date=1040882720]
    Your question of a desolderer not being able to solder is simple. Two different tools designed for two different things. You can't very well use a hammer to put a lugnut on a car can you? [/quote]

but do you get a screw undriver and a screw driver?

desolder

solder

basically my question is do i need both, or just a vacuum thing and a soldering iron?
    [/quote]

No, I switch the ratcheting screw driver into the reverse position. ;D No you don't need both and for that matter I have never had a need for a desoldering tool. Rather than waste the stuff if it's on say a sound card I'll just reuse what's there like I did to try and fix an old SB16 SCSI card.

Mentor

Yeah, but it can be handy if you are cleaning of a piece of PCB to reuse then you can pull off all the solder and clean it up nicely, so I'd say get a vacuum thingy if they're that much cheaper, if not get both. I don't think you'll save that much by getting the vacuum thing and not the desolderer though.

okay anyone got any good sites with beginning electronic howto's? like maybe a digital clock or calculator or something?

thanks

Mentor

Look around at the electronic stores. They usually have little kitsets for things like that. One thing you can buy that is really cool is a little LCD panel that interfaces with the serial port, and you get software that works with your MP3 player and it scrolls the title of the song across the panel, and all other kinds of things. I'd assume you'd be able to get them at any of the big electronic stores in the states, but they come with everything you need and have a little booklet telling you exactly what to do, so are great for starting off.
    CP

i think u can un-solder(desolder) something with a soldering iron...u just heat it up with the iron and it melts..ive used em before ;D
    -CJ

I unsolder with my soldering iron... I use some copper stuff to soak up the soldering mass, which works quite beautifully for regular home usage.. just be careful when it comes to unsolder mobo stuff using that technic, since a mobo is mutlilayered it's very easy to damage something that shouldn't have been affected at all.

One thing though, get a soldering iron with replaceable tip, so that you can solder those pesky small components on your hardware. Also soldering irons with adjustable heat output is a life saver.. they are worth the extra few bucks.