Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking win 98 / XP

Advisor

Networking win 98 / XP

Here's the setup, I'm running win 98 SE for games on my box, and my brother came home with his laptop running XP pro, we want to network them to play games agains them and fileshare, using a crossover cable. the 98 machine can see itself in the "workgroup" workgroup, and the XP box could see itself and the 98 box, but couldn't connect to the 98 box, something about permission denied, even though it should have had permission. Then I ran the XP network setup wizard thinger, now all the XP box sees is itself. I had the great idea of doing the networking wizard on the XP box, then using the network setup disk that it makes to setup networking on the 98 box, but unfortunately, the XP laptop has no floppy drive so I can't make the floppy, and I haven't been able to find a floppy image anywhere on the net.

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working? or could someone find (or make) a network setup floppy for me?

Kind Mastermind

Re:Networking win 98 / XP

Just a thought: do you have an email account with yahoo or hotmail? If so, I would suggest emailing yourself the files from win98 and then access the email account using xp. That way, you could download the image to the xp computer without having to find the image on the net. Or, if your 98 box has a burner, just burn the image to it. Just a thought.

Cheers

If you set up the win 98 machine for dhcp then set up the xp to be the server you might be able to transfer the client across the network if not I can make a copy of the xp home networking client and either mail it to you or email you with it.

I can make an image for you. Let me know.

Basically, you shouldn't need the disk, though.

Make sure the XP computer is the gateway (since networking is better on NT platform.) Assign it a local IP, and write down the name of the workgroup you used it. On the 98 box, make sure you give it an IP on the same range, use the same subnet and set the gateway as the IP of the other machine. Then make sure you both have the same workgroup name.

Advisor

Well, i'll give it another shot using you're instructions trickster, but if someone could make the image and send it to cletus_is_a_hick@hotmail.com it would be much appreciated. Thanx for the help guys.

Advisor

Okay, the 98 machine now had the IP 192.168.0.2 and the XP machine is 192.168.0.1, both have the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and both have the default gateway set to 192.168.0.1, now the XP machine can "see" both itself and the 98 machine in the "workgroup" workgroup, but if I try and connect to the 98 machine it says:

Code:
    \\Crusher is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.
    The 98 machine on the other hand, can only see itself under workgroup.

At this point I think that the network setup disk would be the easiest fix, so if someone could please mail me an image I would be overjoyed. Thanx.

-PK

Advisor

well, i got a disk from a friend but that didn't help, after running that both computers only saw themselves, so basically it made things worse :-\

When I have these boxes set up with IP's of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.1 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 should they be able to ping each other? Currently neither one can ping the other.

Good Guru

[quote author=PK link=board=25;threadid=5932;start=0#56901 date=1041151431]
    When I have these boxes set up with IP's of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.1 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 should they be able to ping each other?
    [/quote]
    I'm hoping that this was just a typo. You can't assign the same IP to both boxes.

Being said that, make sure you have IP range in the same as you have done and workgroup names. Then make sure to set up sharing on both boxes. That can be done with going to "My Computer" and then click on your HDD icons, right click, and sharing.

Make also sure that you have the same name and the accounts are exist on both boxes and that accounts are included in permissions area.

HTH....

And enable File and Printer Sharing and Client for Microsoft Windows Networks on both machines.

Advisor

Indeed the IP's are a typo :-\ they are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, file / print sharing is enabled on both boxes, sharing is set up on both boxes, (they can go into their shared folders through network neighborhood on themselves, although that does no good ) and they are in the same workgroup.

Now, are you saying that the same user must exist on both boxes? I belive that I set it up so that the shared folders have read / write permissions for all users.