Thread: Denmark

Denmark

Advisor

Re:Denmark

Yup, thats the danish way of life.

Anybody know of an online translator I can use to read this? Or perhaps if somebody could give me a summary.

Advisor

In short:

In an atempt to make it difficult for microsoft to take advantage of the IT systems within the danish education system, Sun has made an agreement with UNI-C (The danish education center for research within IT-development) to provide any student within the danish education system with a free copy of staroffice 6.0.
    If the students are unable to download it, they can order the CD version at a cost of roughly $1.20

Thanks for the summary.

Interesting.

Sounds fair to me. I wish we had a deal like this when I was a poor college student not too long ago. Wait a minute StarOffice was free when I was in college anyway.

Translation:

Free software for school use

Denmark's 1.1 million students and teachers can now turn their backs to The Microsoft Corporation. At least when it comes to office software.

A deal has been struck between the Silicon Valley company Sun Microsystems Incorporated and UNI-C meaning that the country's students and teachers can download the office program StarOffice 6.0 from Sun, at no cost and freely install it on their home computer. Alternately, they can buy it on a CD-ROM at cost, 10 kroners per CD. The schools can buy StarOffice in packages of 50.

Sun has made the deal with UNI-C according to the guidelines announced by minister of education Ulla Toernaes (Ventre Party(Liberal)) on October 30th, on how educational institutions should act when offered free office software. Amongst the requirements are that such software donations are without cost for the state, and that UNI-C (Denmark' Information Technology Center for educational centres) should be responsible for distributing licenses.

UNI-C's expenses are covered by the 10 kroner the distribution of CD-ROMs brings. Sun makes a server with the free Linux operating system available for those students and teachers who want to download StarOffice 6.0.

"UNI-C exists to help the Danish educational world, so we're naturally very pleased to be able to distribute this type of initiative from Sun", says Dorte Olesen, director of UNI-C.

The world's undisputedly most wide-spread office system is Microsoft Office, although this does not exist in a version that can be used on computers with Linux as the operating system.

Because of Microsoft's dominance in both office and operating systems, several government institutions are working on creating alternatives, primarily the combination of Linux and StarOffice.

If all 1.1 million students and teachers make use of the offer, the total value will, according to Sun Microsystems, be around 200 million kroners.

*For the record, 1USD is roughly 7.5DKK*