Thread: Student gets "A" for hacking school network.

Student gets "A" for hacking school network.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/interne...ack/index.html

Can we say "script kiddie" boys and girls? There, I knew you could.

"It took three hacking programs less than a second -- 200 milliseconds to be exact -- to find the password to the school's computer, Reid said. It was the school secretary's name: Silvia. "

Re:Student gets "A" for hacking school network.

This story rather annoyed me not just because the reporter doesn't know the difference between "cracker" and "hacker" but the fact that there was really no talent involved really did it for me. Just about any Joe Smith with a few brains could have done this. You don't have to be a super nerd to figure it out.

I found the story interesting but how do reporters consider this news? In other news "Childs tooth falls out!" :-/ You also have to wonder about the admins of that network too. I have no doubt they are the narrow-minded MCSE ones.

Thats my rant finished

One of my online friends was arrested for doing a similar stunt. And no, it doesn't take any talent.

It's sad, but true.. People seem to think hacking is of some great talent and that if you can hack, you're a security whiz. It came up in my business class last quarter, using ex-hackers as security analysts.. Everyone seemed to think they'd be the best choice, and any attempts at explaining the difference between those that build the tools and those that use the tools was over their heads. Pity. I think I should add "Hacker" to my resume and try to get a security job.

he can execute a program *gasp*

HACKA!%#%$$%$$%$

geez, what is funnier is that this little script kiddy nerd is getting all this fame and glory and all the kids at school are asking him to help them hack. it is amazing how far up on the pedastool our society puts idiots. :

Mentor

Good on him I say. If the school are stupid enough to reward people for something simple like that then he may as well take advantage of it. How many of you here would have done the same? Sure the kids acting like a dick, but still its the media who are making all the fuss, and the school.

[quote author=CP link=board=5;threadid=5924;start=0#56538 date=1040706108] Sure the kids acting like a dick, but still its the media who are making all the fuss, and the school.
    [/quote]

the school is doing good, they adwit their security sucked, and they thanked the kid for pointing this out to him.

freshmen year i acquired full access to my schools server and told them about it... "if you were anywhere else you woulda been expelled for this" -lovely vice principle

but dont worry i fixed em, vice principle loves me and sysop gave me a $25 gift certificate for xmas in thanks of my help on various things

It took three hacking programs less than a second -- 200 milliseconds to be exact -- to find the password to the school's computer, Reid said. It was the school secretary's name: Silvia.
    Why is this news? Isn't this really the same as saying :

Genius safe cracker opens difficult safe, finds combiniation, '1234,' tapped to door handle.

I guess Im kinda lucky. The first time I really had any kind of computer class was when I was in 7th grade. They had a hangman program there and one of the first things i did was figure out how to print out the answers. I dont know if you can consider that hacking but the teacher was pretty impressed.

10Ded

Why is everyone upset about this making news? Do you really care that much? You obviously all live in a big city where news is expected to be major. When I lived in Harleton, I received a free copy of their newspaper. (It was really like 4 pages of crap.) The funniest part of it was a section on family issues, like who in the town is really sick and who's having family reunions and crap like that. So just about anything can be news. This article would've been on the front page of their newspaper.

Also, I don't think the big deal about this news is that someone hacked a school server, but rather that they were rewarded for it. That's not something that happens often, and it's probably the first time the press was informed.

[quote author=Grand Aardvark Kenshi link=board=5;threadid=5924;start=0#57226 date=1041786716]
    Also, I don't think the big deal about this news is that someone hacked a school server, but rather that they were rewarded for it. That's not something that happens often, and it's probably the first time the press was informed.
    [/quote]

exactly, and its a good thing he was rewarded not punished. me and my friend were in the paper once for writing a web based course selection thing for my school... they didnt mention the year before us being banned from the network for hacking.