Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could it be?

Mentor

What could it be?

I'm running win98 on a PII 300. It runs alright most of the time, but every now and then I'll get random lockups, and then on boot-up before anything else I'll get the BSOD. Is this more likely to be hardware, or a corrupt file?
    Cheers
    CP

Re:What could it be?

When you get the BSOD, write down the first series of number it says: should be something similar to 00x0000FE00. Then you can go to http://support.microsoft.com and type the rror code. It should give you an idea of what is causing it.

Mentor

Thanks
    <edit> OK i got my bluescreen and the number was
    015F:BFF87154, and then it bluescreened again and I got
    015F:BFF8712B. I searched for both of these at support.microsoft.com, but to no avail. Any idea of where else I could look?
    Cheers
    CP </edit>

you don't fix windows

you re-install

Mentor

You see, I thought I'd try this novel new approach because I don't want to lose all the data on my HD, and I have not way to back it up, and I have reinstalled over top and it caused the same problems. Anyways, I got another code today it was 015F:BFF8AB6E

Try putting in just the 015F part. I tried it and was told that it was an invalid page fault. There were three or four problems described with addresses of that ball park. Take a look, maybe one of them rings true for you.

One thing I have found to be very effective at fixing an slow or unstable 98 install is a little app called regclean. You get it from http://www.createwindow.com/wininfo/regclean.htm

This is amust have add-on for 98.

Advisor

[quote author=cga link=board=25;threadid=5918;start=0#56523 date=1040677953]
    One thing I have found to be very effective at fixing an slow or unstable 98 install is a little app called regclean. You get it from http://www.createwindow.com/wininfo/regclean.htm

This is amust have add-on for 98.
    [/quote]

Regclean can be good, but I've stopped using it after it fuxord up my registry a couple times. :-\

Mentor

Did you back it up like it says

Advisor

[quote author=CP link=board=25;threadid=5918;start=0#56565 date=1040719663]
    Did you back it up like it says
    [/quote]

well, i had a backup copy, but i didn't make one right before i did it :-\ so basically i ended up with a registry that had a bunch of my programs missing in it. Oh well, now when i have a problem i just reformat ;D