Thread: Printing To An HP JetDirect 500X

Printing To An HP JetDirect 500X

Hi,

I want to know how to print to a networked Jet Direct box with three printers.

The IP address is 192.168.1.33 and I think the ports are set at 9000; 9001 & 9002 (not sure of this). How would I set up TCP/IP printing to such a box?

Vampyre UK

Good Guru

Re:Printing To An HP JetDirect 500X

Depending on the distro you use, the available tools are different.

Red Hat comes with printer configuration tool called printconf-gui. There you will have the options of setting up local, lpd ( Unix based ), SMB ( Windows or SAMBA based ), NCP ( Novell ), and JetDirect ( Networked printer ).

There, you will be able to insert your printer's IP address and port numbers.

HTH ...

You also need to make sure you have the Linux drivers for that particular printer, just as though it were connected directly to lpX (i.e. one of your parrallel ports.) Windows may have the driver, but it doesn't actually do the printing. It merely re-routes the print request to the printer itself.

So ...

... if I switch to Red Hat v8.0 (which I am perfectly prepared to do) I shouldn't have any more problems?

another method is ftp. generally network printers have ftp open. you go to print in your program, pick to file not to printer. then save as whatever you want. then just ftp to that ip and send the file.ps and all should be grand.

Solved! Jet Direct Multi-Port Printing

Hi,

I finally have a solution for SuSE at any rate but I don't see why it wont work anywhere else :-)

1.Install cups
    2.Start cups server (apparently there are 3 choices but since I used SuSE it was already running anyway).
    3.Open browser, http://127.0.0.1:631/
    4.Select "Administration" & enter root and root password
    5.Select "Add printer" entering info in Name (the only important one on this screen ... other 2 are just text) to distinguish the printer on the hub from the others. Select "Continue"
    6.At the next screen select "Device" as "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" and select "Continue"
    7.At the next screen select "URI" as "socket://192.168.1.33:9100" (this is the 1st printer on the box, the subsequent ones are 9101 & 9102) and select "Continue"
    8.At the next screen select "Make" (in my case Epson) and select "Continue"
    9.At the next screen select "Model/Driver" (in my case Epson 5700) and select "Continue". I'll admit to being a bit baffled here as there are drivers with gimp, foomatic (or similar) so I just selected one and it worked.
    10.At the next screen you will get a message "Printer xxxxx has been successfully added", click on printer name, click "Print Test Page" and Voila!!!!

My thanks to Ed Harrison on the SuSE support list for this.