Thread: Flash > /bin/false

Mentor

Flash > /bin/false

I've had it flash. It was OK to have it installed until websites started using it to display really annoying "flashy" ads. Just removing it did not quite do the trick, the browser was asking me to download flash every time. So I set up my browser to open flash files with /bin/false. It did it. Now I'm totally flash free, and there's only an empty spot where the ad was supposed to show up.

Re:Flash > /bin/false

cool trick. I always get annoyed when it keeps asking you to download flash. Maybe I'll give this a try.

Thanks Cloverm

nice trick. just yesterday i actually caved and installed flash, 6 is out for linux btw.

but yeah if my homework didn't require it i wouldn't've done it.

[edit]
    shouldn't it be Flash < /bin/false? :P
    [/edit]

The abuse of Flash is just another symptom in the overall problem I see with the web. I really hate bloated, slow web sites that really lack any substatial content or, worse, have content I want but make it impossible to access easily or quickly. For Gods' sake, provide alternate, text based options if you insist on building bandwith-sucking bloat-pages! Any web site that is well designed should be accessable (at least the content) in Lynx. The flashy stuff (pun intended) should be optional.

And don't, under any circumstances, have a f*cking Flash greeting page that takes 20 minutes to load!

[quote author=cga link=board=2;threadid=5892;start=0#56323 date=1040346296]
    The abuse of Flash is just another symptom in the overall problem I see with the web. I really hate bloated, slow web sites that really lack any substatial content or, worse, have content I want but make it impossible to access easily or quickly. For Gods' sake, provide alternate, text based options if you insist on building bandwith-sucking bloat-pages! Any web site that is well designed should be accessable (at least the content) in Lynx. The flashy stuff (pun intended) should be optional.

And don't, under any circumstances, have a f*cking Flash greeting page that takes 20 minutes to load!

[/quote]

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!

[quote author=cloverm link=board=2;threadid=5892;start=0#56137 date=1040137676]
    So I set up my browser to open flash files with /bin/false.[/quote]
    Which browser?