Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Light WMs

Re:Light WMs

fvwm - stable, configurable, pretty, lightwight.
    i compiled both fvwm and flux box with same options (-O2) except fvwm had support for pngs and strokes - fvwm takes 1.8 MB as measured by top fluxbox is 2.5 MB while running as measure by top.

give fvwm a shot!!

Actually, PBHarris is right! fvwm is an awsome, fast wm.

Talk to the sig.

Flux

though E is COOL

actually my personal fav right now is openbox. forget tabs they get incredibly annoying. openbox is basically fluxbox without tabs.

but honestly i cannot recommend what YOU want. I would try a pile of WMs out and decided that way. suggestions here just touch upon the offering of WMs out there. some other are hackedbox, blackbox, xfce (this is a really light but fast DE), fvwm2, fluxbox, golem, awm, aewm++, waimea, ratpoison, twm, E, and so forth i can't remember the WM page that has a list and links but search the web and you will find it. only you can decide what is best for your needs.

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=6;threadid=5888;start=0#56316 date=1040333100]
    i can't remember the WM page that has a list and links but search the web and you will find it. only you can decide what is best for your needs.
    [/quote]

http://www.plig.org/xwinman

Kind Mastermind

Like sarah31 says, look around at xwinman.org and read up on what is available. There are a large number of really good projects that will fit the bill for ya.

Now, one of my personal favorites (I feel like a pimp) is xfce. It is one of the lightest weight Desktop Environments out there. Plus, being as it is compiled against gtk+, you should be able to run anything that is gnomeish without any problems.

Cheers

Did I smell Fluxbox!?! My vote over ANY WM is Fluxbox. I guess I better show my screen. BTW, even with everything in my Flux screen, it's still lightweight.

Don't let the 100% CPU usuage fool you, if you look below, I have SETI@home running. It idles at 0% w/o it.

My Fluxbox

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=6;threadid=5888;start=0#56431 date=1040549679]
    Did I smell Fluxbox!?! My vote over ANY WM is Fluxbox. I guess I better show my screen. BTW, even with everything in my Flux screen, it's still lightweight.

Don't let the 100% CPU usuage fool you, if you look below, I have SETI@home running. It idles at 0% w/o it.

My Fluxbox
    [/quote]

holy clutter batman! i think you need a few more icons and dockapps :P

i run a whole pile of terminals, mysql 4.0.6, moz (with 5 tabs), distributed folding, irssii, mc, gaim, gkrellm and i am uusually compiling one or two things over three work spaces and my processes rarely exceed 70 processes.

as for seeing the reasons why flux is "better" from that screenie all i think is that i better get a broom out and clean that desktop up :P

as for seeing the reasons why flux is "better" from that screenie all i think is that i better get a broom out and clean that desktop up
    It was simply an opinion. Geez sarah. ;D

The only reason for the high processes is all the extra stuff I use. :P