Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: modem problems

modem problems

Ok guys,
    I can connect up to the internet using my modem, and have been doing for a cuple weeks now. The only problem is i dont have any throughput on my modem. The only thing i can think of that mite have changed was i tried to get my computers to network using netconfig. i can still dialup using my winbloz with no probs. All the setting seem right on my RH7.3
    im open to suggestions at this point.

10Ded

Kind Mastermind

Re:modem problems

What does your resolv.conf file say? Does it have your local network addresses in it? If so, that could very well be your problem.

Cheers

Ok. I found the resolv.conf file in /etc/ppp.
    IT has the following entries in it:
    nameserver: 198.252.201.5
    nameserver: 198.252.201.2

10Ded

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=10Dedfish link=board=4;threadid=5870;start=0#55947 date=1039969547]
    Ok. I found the resolv.conf file in /etc/ppp.
    IT has the following entries in it:
    nameserver: 198.252.201.5
    nameserver: 198.252.201.2

10Ded
    [/quote]

First of all, sorry for not telling you where to find resolv.conf. My bad. Secondly, are the nameserver addresses part of your personal network or do they point to your isp's nameservers? (I'm not too clued into which address range is for personal use and which are for public use.)

Hello,
    Does the modem use any initialization strings? i know my modem did and it helped when I used them.

I've found on my Mac (The one with dial-up) that sometimes the issue is the dialer. I could never getting Kppp to connect it. Tried wvdial, and that didn't go over so well either. Since you are using RH 7.3, there is a app called Network Config, or something to that effect. It will show your eth0 and your ttys0 (or whatever it might be) in a window inside the app. Next to the names it will say rather "active", or "disabled". Highlight the modem, and click "Activate". You might also try the GNOME dialer too.

Nice Sig by the way. Wonder where that quote came from. ;D

I tried using netconfig, thats what started this whole thing. Now, I think that the 198 address is not for public routing but im not sure either. I will dig in my cisco books and see what I can find. But, i can connect with kppp with no probs, its just the throughput for the modem
    10Ded

You should set your modem for dynamic IP's. Your eth0 shouldn't effect the connection. The modem should be set to get it's IP from DHCP, and the nameservers set to what your ISP says to use.

On your eth0, you probably should set it to one of the FQDN non-routable IP's like 192.168.xxx.xxx.

Is the eth0 config under netconfig? The output from ifconfig basically states only eth0 and lo(loopback). There is no output for ppp0. All of the AT commands for the modem look ok under the startup log, and I tried to setup for dhcp under netconfig last nite. Is there a specific way to set up the ppp0 connection for dhcp and automatically update the dns ip's?
    10Ded

Hey Matt, do a route -a command before you connect to the internet and post it here. Then do the same command after you connect and post that here also. It looks to me like it is trying to use his eth0 connection as the default gateway instead of the ppp0 interface. I have had this problem before. The route command should show this problem.