Thread: Rating system for PET's

Kind Mastermind

Rating system for PET's

I suggest that we have some kind of rating system for the PET's. That way, if several people have read the PET and found it to be trash, a poor rating would dissuade people from reading it. A poor rating might also compel people to try to fix any PET that doesn't work right or maybe has become obsolete. Conversely, if a PET comes highly rated, people will know that it is a good one.

Maybe cloverm could set up a karma system for the PET's.

Just a thought,
    Cheers

Re:Rating system for PET's

I know that I personally would abandon a PET if it got rated low... if people can't tell me to my face what's wrong with my PET then they don't deserve my time..

I vote against this.

Ooh something even further on the rating system might be a review of the PET too??? I mean a poor rating in and of itself can't tell people enough in the multi-distro era were in right now... So if people could say what didn't work for them or whatever I think that would prove an good addition to the rating of a PET.

Can I offer something further also... breaking it down into the writers intended distro of support. So if I wrote a PET on my RH8.0 system, I'm thinking that it won't be of much help for a debian user or a FreeBSD user. Just a suggestion.

Lovechild: Just because some people possibly rate one of your PETs badly doesn't mean you should take it personally... Like I said above with SO many distros out it is hard to make something that will work for everybody.

But plenty of people will vote good or bad without giving any real feedback... that would suck the large one, instead just have the possiblity to PM the member with suggestion on how to improve the guide... That way all the PETs should be optimal, a voting/review system would only point out bad/good PETs but would NOT improve on their flaws.

As proof for my claims, I offer www.kdelook.org - there people just vote good or bad and only about one in ten provide real feedback... It does not work, at all... it would be wasted effort, no worse.... it would be downright counterproductive

Kind Mastermind

After careful consideration, I would have to agree with Lovey on this one. There has to be a better way. I guess having the PET section of the forum is about the best that we can possibly hope for, eh?

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=18;threadid=5869;start=0#55952 date=1039972723]
    After careful consideration, I would have to agree with Lovey on this one. There has to be a better way. I guess having the PET section of the forum is about the best that we can possibly hope for, eh?

Cheers
    [/quote]

We could have a submit feedback form in the buttom of all PETs, that would make it REAL easy to use and improve PETs.

This feedback should then go the PET editor and the PET author. In case the PET is abandoned, like mine are right now (due to me deleting my old account).

But please rating systems are weak.. even the current karma system we have right now, it tells you NOTHING about the user and his abilities... fx. People don't like me personally because I tend to be anti-american... that does NOT make me incompetent. Instead of having Karma be personally assigned lets do this.

Rate each post, say we have a thread by

---
    My soundcard isn't working by n00b-wan
    there's no sound what do I do

Re: My soundcard isn't working by Schotty:
    <insert useful reply here> and have a cold one...
    ---

now with a good rating system it woulld look like this:
    ---
    My soundcard isn't working by n00b-wan
    there's no sound what do I do

Post was rated at: * * * * *
    Re: My soundcard isn't working by Schotty:
    <insert useful reply here> and have a cold one...
    ---

5 stars meaning useful reply, known fix

1 star meaning useless flamebait

you can only be allowed to vote once per post, and we then compile stats based on type of forum, and type of response. and get something like this maybe:

Software : su -c "rm -rf /"
    Hardware: guru
    Offtopic: Flaming madman

for the persons profile.

Hard to implement, but far more useful. Seing as bad karma caused by offtopic flaming will not affect peoples overall karma regarding actual help.

That sounds like a pretty good system Lovechild... I guess am just a little too optimistic in hoping that people would enter useful reviews/feedback... If my "world" were true then I think that the rating system would indeed work but the fact is that we live in the REAL world and people don't usually leave useful reviews/feedback.

****Izan bows in defeat of Lovey's better plans****

I'm not so sure about this. What happens to the lower rated PETs? Get deleted, so the author will not write anymore in fear of it getting rm'ed?

Good Guru

I say with the vote you send Schotty beer. I will decide if the person was unfair (basically it ends up being fair if I get good beer, unfair if its skank water).

I vote for it.

I see no one voted against.

In a close vote of 1-0, Schotty will recieve beer with all comments on PETs.

Honestly (and seriously) I think that a comment section would be ideal. At least on the same page, the comments that others have can be listed. That is about the only big change that I care to see. That and sending booze my way ....