Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

this might sound stupid but...

Thread: this might sound stupid but...

this might sound stupid but...

I talked to this guy i know about me always crashing X when trying to put Nvidia drivers in (twice)... and not knowing enough about linux just yet I restart from scratch and I reinstall rh8.0 everytime... anyway he told me that i should shut down X first.... how do i do that??

Re:this might sound stupid but...

ctrl+alt+bkspc is the fast way

Kind Mastermind

BTW...it wasn't a stupid question. An example of a stupid question would be to ask your wife what's wrong after she has spent the last several hours crying and talking to you. Not that I would have any experiences like that...

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=2;threadid=5868;start=0#55926 date=1039954225]
    BTW...it wasn't a stupid question. An example of a stupid question would be to ask your wife what's wrong after she has spent the last several hours crying and talking to you. Not that I would have any experiences like that...
    [/quote]

A stupid question would be.... do you have 5 mins to explain female logic to me...

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=5868;start=0#55929 date=1039960146]
    [quote author=stryder144 link=board=2;threadid=5868;start=0#55926 date=1039954225]
    [/quote]

A stupid question would be.... do you have 5 mins to explain female logic to me...
    [/quote]

I do have five minutes, but I don't have a clue how to answer the question.

Also isn't there an init command to switch to a different run level also that would shut down X? That might also prove useful.

Or open a terminal and type ps -a. Then check what is the process number for X and type kill * where * = process #.

Good Guru

To install the nvidia drivers for linux, you need to:

open up a gnome/kde/x term
    su to root
    type 'gedit /etc/X11/XF86Config'
    edit the line that has 'nv' as the driver and make it 'nvidia'
    edit the lines in the module section to remove DRI.
    in that same section, make sure GLX is loaded.
    save the file and exit.
    cd to the directory that has the two .tar.gz files. If you have rpms, get .tar.gz files for this. They work much more smoothly. Albeit a bit more effort (not much)
    (fix filenames to appropriate one. and note that the tab key auto completes the filename, so just start typing the beginning and hit tab to omplete it)
    tar -zxf NVIDIA_Kernel_file.tar.gz
    tar -zxf NVIDIA_GLX_file.tar.gz
    cd to Kernel dir
    type make
    cd to GLX dir
    type make
    close out of GNOME/KDE.
    when at the login screen type ctl+alt+backspace.

If all went well, after about 5 seconds or so (possibly faster, depends on your card -- and not all Geforces are equal. My buddies GF1 beats on X startup my GF2 ti.) you should see an NVIDIA splash screen, and then the X login screen.

Now I would try this -- run glxinfo and glxgears to see how things went. the gears app, is a mere benchmark app, for FPS for some dumb gear animation. Run this before and after for best perf increase testing. glxinfo will detail your OpenGL Extension settings.

Good Guru

since I just read your other post about installing the two rpms, ignore the last part. Just edit the file. That is what your porblem is stemming from.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

An example of a stupid question would be to ask your wife what's wrong after she has spent the last several hours crying and talking to you. Not that I would have any experiences like that...
    [/quote]

Oh, dear!