Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New NVidia drivers are out.

Re:New NVidia drivers are out.

[quote author=t048 link=board=6;threadid=5850;start=0#55771 date=1039789508]
    They sure do take their sweet time getting them out.
    [/quote]

[sarcasm] Well then buy yourself an ATI card as they seem oh so quick to get linux drivers out[/sarcasm]

:P

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=6;threadid=5850;start=0#55949 date=1039971240]
    [quote author=t048 link=board=6;threadid=5850;start=0#55771 date=1039789508]
    They sure do take their sweet time getting them out.
    [/quote]

[sarcasm] Well then buy yourself an ATI card as they seem oh so quick to get linux drivers out[/sarcasm]

[/quote]

I actually thought about buying an ATI card. Of course, I don't care if it takes forever for them to come out with updated drivers, so ATI is fine by me. My only problem lies in trying to get my wife to agree to let me buy 'more' computer equipment. Sad to say, that has a probability ratio nearly equivelant to injecting Cobra venom into your blood stream and living to tell about it. Possible, but not very likely.

Good Guru

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=6;threadid=5850;start=0#55949 date=1039971240]

[/quote]

Yeah, that is what kept me funding the nVIDIA monopoly in my LAN ;D

But I must say, they suprised the hell out of me when they released the fixed Linux drivers the other day. For a moment I thought they just caved and made one driver and didnt care a bit about recurring support

They gave me a 65 FPS increase in glx gears. HOLY SHIT! can't wait to run unreal tourney - Nice stuff

hehe, im gonna see if these drivers finally work with my setup...
    -cj
    btw, i was considering gettin a Radeon 9000 or 9500 Pro...are these supported in linux yet?

another thing if you are running a kernel with the rmap15b VM patch installed you need a patch to make the nVidia drivers work...
    If there's anyone here who needs the patch just pm me and I'll put it on my schools servers for a while.

yes both are with official released by ATI drivers.

I'm surprised how well these NVidia drivers for FreeBSD work.

Mentor

I installed them and got a good boost in glxgears. A couple of hundred fps I think it was. Anyway I'm happy now , but the heat around here is causing my PC to overheat and slow down, so I've had to underclock it, and now I can't do much more than Frozen Bubble

Good Guru

Dude, reclock your CPU to the proper setting. If you are unlucky, you may fry out your timing crystal cicuit. The circuit was designed to run at specific frequency range and if you go too low, you may make it a little too unhappy. Two nothces down is about all that is safe.

Best bet is to either butcher an old PSU and repo the fan in there and make a plug for it to use for a cooling fan somewhere, or get a fan or two from the local computer shop or radio shack. If your case has a slot on the front and a slot on the back, use those and make sure the case is closed up. Proper circulation will make even the worst cooled rigs outperform the best cooled, uncirculated case any day. We are talking a good 20C change -- easy.

Good luck.