Thread: Debian/Woody Upgrade to Sarge/SID

Debian/Woody Upgrade to Sarge/SID

Hello everybody. I must start by saying that I have been following this forum for about 6 months now, maybe almost a year actually and I really enjoy it.

I must give my shout outs to: Lovechild, NGene, MountainMan, PBHarris, Mr Red Hat himself -- Schotty, Sara31 (sorry if I did it wrong), Fezza, Compunuts, and many more who's name I cannot remember at the moment.

So here is my question:

I have been using Linux, various distributions (Mandrake, Red Hat, Corel, Caldera) for about a year and a bit now and I have decided to get my feet wet with Debian. Thanks to Linux Format Magazine I was able to get a copy of Woody, and thanks to the article on OSNEW re Debian Walk through Installation, I was able to get Woody up and running. So now I want to go from stable to Sarge/SID.

1) How do I do that?
    2) Also can I leave certain packages/areas in apt sources as stable and the balance as Sarge/SID?
    3) Can I have my source list look at stable/Sarge/SID altogether therefore I have a wide range f packages to choose from, as well I would not have to worry about a package being in Sarge and a dependency being in SID?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Kind Mastermind

Re:Debian/Woody Upgrade to Sarge/SID

Jecopash:

This is an easy question, kinda. I would only put one type of input into source.list. So, if you want to upgrade to sarge, put sarge in there, not all of them. This will make it such that you don't end up updating and find that package x from sarge needs package y, but package y is from sid and breaks package x because it is not the exact one that the original package was built against. Be very cautious when going up (or down, there is an article on how to do so from debianplanet.org). You might have more frustration than you bargained for.

That said, check this link out. It has a few source.list entries that are useful. When I get around to it (probably later today), I'll post my current source.list. You can also check out pbharris' PET. It contains much useful information and some more source.list material. Don't forget Debian's website, as they have a tonne of great info.

Cheers

BTW...welcome to the forum!

1)

Edit every instance of "stable" to "unstable" in /etc/apt/sources.list

2)

"apt-get update"

3)

"apt-get dist-upgrade"

Voila.

Good Guru

[quote author=Jecopash link=board=7;threadid=5846;start=0#55726 date=1039729336]
    I must give my shout outs to: Lovechild, NGene, MountainMan, PBHarris, Mr Red Hat himself -- Schotty, Sara31 (sorry if I did it wrong), Fezza, Compunuts, and many more who's name I cannot remember at the moment.
    [/quote]

Thanks dude !

SHOUT OUT TO MY MAN Jecopash !!!

nuff loving ! :-*