Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resiser is the new bane of my existance

Resiser is the new bane of my existance

Hello, you might know me from other threads such as Ext2 is the Bane of my Existance or...well..I've had a few.

I decided to give Reiser another try (I hate you Lovechild) and everything went ducky till the grub install (I hate you Lovechild). I mounted the drive in Gentoo with the -o notail option like the FM said and when I type grub and

enter root (hd0,12) it tells me: File system type unknowm, Partition type 0xb. I also tried another partition (fat32) which it read and typing setup (hd0) gave me another funky error that I wasn't smart enough to write down.

My question is (I still hate you Lovechild) where did ASCI go wrong (aside listening to LoveChild) and how can he fix it (with or without help from LoveChild). ;D

Good Guru

Re:Resiser is the new bane of my existance

bet you didnt compile ReiserFS support into the kernel ;D

And why dont you listen? Should have made it ext2/3 type.

Ah-so good idea but I did compile it into the kernel. If I was smart I would have made it xfs again, so far aside ext2 in debian it's treated me the best.

First of all, fuck you.... you don't deserve my help... I don't like taking crap from you...

Second of all.
    Don't look at me, I have an ext2 noauto mounted partition for as my /boot just in case.... it really doesn't matter for /boot since we never mount it. Thus a highly trusted FS like ext2 is better.

Btw, I retracted my previous comment on ReiserFS corruption, it turns out my / is a bit screwed now...

It's running RAID0 and ReiserFS... which has given me a few problems, but nothing an fsck couldn't fix (had it not been for the RAID0, which I've now decided to for go on, it's simply not safe with all the tinkering I've been doing -- the buttomline, RAID0 is evil if you have to crash your machine a lot.... which I happen to do)

Anyways to fix your problem, remember to mount with
    mount -o notail /dev/hdXY /mnt/gentoo/boot.

Or grub will fail to install

but I would.

Exit chroot, umount /boot, make it an ext2 partition, enter chroot, emerge grub and live happily ever after.

Merry christmas fucktard !

What is the best way to do a reiserfsck? My partition was corrupted because I didn't do fsck's at all (Thats about 1 year - so corrupted that it wouldn't moun 9 times outta 10. Luckily I was able to get it to a state to backup $home though). Afaik, the partition has to be unmounted to fsck it. Is there an easier way than having to boot knoppix and carry out a reiserfsck from there?

Thanks

people! please refrain from any personal attacks.

I don't use a /boot however fstab, or the manual stated in simple declarative terms to use notail on the partition that contains a kernel (/dev/hda13). Looks like it's back to xfs! ;D

Thanks for the help Lovey! kiss kiss!

Good Guru

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=5930;start=0#56580 date=1040733090]
    Merry christmas fucktard !
    [/quote]

Okay, Lovechild -- How did you find out my real name ;D This is (was) my best kept secret !

Merry christmas dude!

Arr..seems that Reiser isn't the bane, it's grub! I tried ext3 tonight and got the same two errors dealing with grub, unknown partition type and unable to mount partition when I put in the line setup (hd0).

[quote author=segfault link=board=2;threadid=5930;start=0#56581 date=1040735364]
    What is the best way to do a reiserfsck? My partition was corrupted because I didn't do fsck's at all (Thats about 1 year - so corrupted that it wouldn't moun 9 times outta 10. Luckily I was able to get it to a state to backup $home though). Afaik, the partition has to be unmounted to fsck it. Is there an easier way than having to boot knoppix and carry out a reiserfsck from there?

Thanks
    [/quote]

Here's my foolproof plan..

I boot the Gentoo LIVE cd and start my raid (which is a pain because I have to rewrite my raidtab everytime) and then fsck.reiserfs /dev/md1 (fsck is normally a wrapper script that figures out which FS you have so fsck should be enough).
    Why the LIVEcd?, well on that one I know the tools work and as they are stored off disk they can't be affected by any diskcorruption.. and since I burn a new one every month or so it should start that way for a LONG TIME.