Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Val CD-RW's

Hi-Val CD-RW's

Anyone using a Hi-Val CD-RW for Linux recording? My Ricoh crapped out and OfficeMax has a Hi-Val 48x16x48 for $29.99 (after rebates).

Re:Hi-Val CD-RW's

hello,
    i had an Hi-Val LS120 drive back in the day when holding 120MB was considered cool - anywho it was a total POS - i know this probably does not answer you quesiton...

Good Guru

Well to put the story short --

HiVal sucked back in 97 (and I like Paul had a POS LS-120 from them)
    They got bought out in 98 or 99. Forget who. They started to rock, and for cheaply too, I might add.
    Then the owner got bought, and all of the products from them suck ass. I cant recall who it was though.

Nonetheless, unless they really changed since last year -- two thumbs down.

Thanks guys; I THOUGHT that price was too good to be true. BTW: I got my Ricoh working again; all I had to do was remove and re-install X-CD Roast.

[quote author=Bullgooseloony link=board=3;threadid=5506;start=0#53068 date=1036360643]
    Thanks guys; I THOUGHT that price was too good to be true. BTW: I got my Ricoh working again; all I had to do was remove and re-install X-CD Roast.
    [/quote]

curses!! that did not work for me and my azus drive!

Okay here's a tip

The cheapest CD-RW on the market (in my country at least) is the Lite-on series.

First of all, the hardware for the 24 - 48x (40x at least) is the same, so buying a 24speed model and flashing the fireware is the same as buying a higher speed model... there's NO DIFFERENCE what so ever...

So get one of those babies, they are CHEAP even for the high speed version, and the Linux support is EXELLENT - plus the quality of the burner itself is superb !

Is that right? So, I just need to flash my 32x liteon to make it 40x?

[quote author=vvx link=board=3;threadid=5506;start=0#54090 date=1037663318]
    Is that right? So, I just need to flash my 32x liteon to make it 40x?
    [/quote]
    That's what I have heard, and I know that vendors like LG does this too. But be careful.

Yup. Lite-On drives are great. I bought the 40/12/48 model because it was the cheapest one available and it's working grat.
    LinuxHardware.org likes them, too

Oops. I think I need to revise my above statement. Yesterday my LiteOn Burner went fubar after only 5 months. It doesn't burn anything anymore, doesn't even read regular CD-ROMs.

Obviously the drive is still well under warranty. So I guess I'll have to get a replacement drive. I'll be back to tell you how well LiteOn handles complaints.