Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ext2 is the bane of my existance

Advisor

Re:ext2 is the bane of my existance

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=13;threadid=5822;start=0#55730 date=1039731503]
    [quote author=PK link=board=13;threadid=5822;start=0#55646 date=1039659990]
    [quote author=stryder144 link=board=13;threadid=5822;start=0#55599 date=1039627945]
    Knoppix is really stable (for me, anyway) and I just found out that when it is installed to your hard drive, it uses xfs as it's file system. I prefer ext3, myself.
    [/quote]

I have also found knoppix to be stable, but i'm running it on ext2 right now, (plan on converting to ext3 when i get around to it) If i'm not mistaken, you can install Knoppix on any filesystem supported by your kernel, when you format your partition pick what you want, the knx-hdinstall just copies files as far as I know so as long as the FS is supported you should be alright.
    [/quote]

That's odd. I say that simply because I just used cfdisk to partition the hard drive and used the ext2 (82 or 83) option. When I installed knoppix, I guess it chose xfs. The only reason why I know it is xfs is because when I go into the kde control panel it says so.

Cheers
    [/quote]

Well, in my control center, it says "Release: 2.4.19-xfs", under information > partitions it says that / is ext2, it also says that in my fstab.

To switch to ext3 just do tune2fs -j /dev/xxx. It'll create your journals. Make sure you've got ext3 support in the kernel, and you chance the fs type in /etc/fstab from ext2 to ext3 before you reboot.

I've had file corruption with reiserfs in the past -- but it was over a year ago, more like 2? I've used XFS for a good while and it was just fine. Used ext3 briefly, but when booting up while my reiserfs partitions (Yep, I'm back on ReiserFS yet again, no complaints yet this time, though the performance doesn't seem better than xfs or anything.) would instantly mount and scroll by there was at least a half second (I think more like a whole second) delay mounting ext3 partitions. It could have been something particular about my setup. I also had my ext3 partitions fscking after so many reboots and the such, though I now know how to fix that one.

I have to admit, xfs does have one nice advantage -- the filesystem has been around for ages. Not on Linux to be sure (though it's old when compared to ext3), and the tools linux use aren't as old as xfs, but the filesystem itself should be well tested.

It isn't just ext2, it's the entire drive. It's dying slowly. I may have saved ext2 with fsck, but now I have to save all my 'doze partitions so I can get etg0 up. I have an ancient pcnet32 nic that 2.4 and 2.5 can't bring up on their own and ifconfig doesn't like either.

When booting from cd:

Extremly broken bios

At post it doesn't detect my ide hda however it does get my cdrom, could this be an ide port error, bad cable, or bad drive..or any combination of the two? Going to try making my dvd slave to the ide, or maybe just put the ide on the other port. Will have more later.

The drive appears to be dead, or there is a very significant problem with the bios. I switched cables with the DVD drive (which was being detected) and it wasn't detected at POST. I tried with the working cable in the other ide port it wasn't detected there either. The hdd also makes funky noises akin to a cat trying scratching to get out of a cardboard box .

Good Guru

you probably have a dead drive.

I cant descibe the sound that drives in my presence have always made better than a clicking noise that is louder and harsher than the normal seek click.

If its dead, and you got anything useful on the drive, you may want to put the drive in a freezer bag, stick it in the freezer, wait 5-6 hours, reattatch it to the pc, boot, QUICKLY copy the data over to a safe media, and throw the drive away.

I wish I had media to copy it to, and yes it is indeed a dead drive. The extremy broken bios error is a bug in Linuxiso (searched google) that rears it's head when there's no hd plugged in. I tested the theory with an old stormix CD which booted to the install screen.

The new question is what brand drive do I want. Another IBM or take a chance with someone else.

IBM drives are so badly broken, ever since the GXP60 disaster it's been all downhill regarding quality of the IBM drives.

Currently the best drives on the market seems to be the Western Digital SE series... cheap and stable.

I've had too many friends have WD's go bad too. I just ordered myself a 80 gig Seagate (cheaper than WD!) and it should be here by Wed from NewEgg.

I'm actually using both a 45GB IBM 75GXP hd, and a Western Digital 80gb (the 8mb cache one, not sure model.) Both going strong, the WD is a touch faster.

[Q]/dev/hda:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.83 seconds = 34.97 MB/sec
    Trillian:/home/vvx # hdparm -t /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.39 seconds = 46.04 MB/sec
    [/Q]

I had a Maxtor 20gb drive that went bad after only 3 months. I also have a 540MB Seagate in my router that's been doing 24/7 for a long time, yet shows no signs of dying. Around the time of 1.5 - 2GB drives, I knew tons of people with WD that were dying. IBM now with their "4 hours a day" or whatever committment to quality doesn't strike my fancy. Umm, yea, good luck!