Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ext2 is the bane of my existance

ext2 is the bane of my existance

Rrrrrr..ext2 hates me. Maybe over a month ago I installed Gentoo 1.4, cool shit and all but I went with ext2 rather than xfs since I couldn't find it in the kernel config. A few days ago I was trying to install mozzy 1.2 from source..or was it 1.1 either way it wouldn't compile and use up all my hard disk space. I rm -rf the mozzy dir and my hard drive starts making sounds like it's going to fall apart. So by hand, dir by dir I removed the mozzy directory. Today I had to reboot cause for the life of me I couldn't mount my zip drive (stupid dev kernel) and when I tried to boot back to linux fsck got stuck it couldn't do anything to the drive but it still sounded like it was going to fall apart.

This weekend I'm going to have to re-reinstall Gentoo but this time back on xfs, it treated me very well. Stupid ext2 for hating me.

Re:ext2 is the bane of my existance

There's a way of converting filesystems, there's a post about it on forums.gentoo.org, just in case you do it again.

And again, I can't stress my hatred of XFS enough, there's NO reason to use XFS on a desktop machine, it only outperforms ReiserFS when handling VERY large files, and it has corruption issues still.

ReiserFS mounted with notail is much faster and it's much safer than XFS.

Kind Mastermind

Knoppix is really stable (for me, anyway) and I just found out that when it is installed to your hard drive, it uses xfs as it's file system. I prefer ext3, myself.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=5822;start=0#55591 date=1039617820]
    There's a way of converting filesystems, there's a post about it on forums.gentoo.org, just in case you do it again.

And again, I can't stress my hatred of XFS enough, there's NO reason to use XFS on a desktop machine, it only outperforms ReiserFS when handling VERY large files, and it has corruption issues still.

ReiserFS mounted with notail is much faster and it's much safer than XFS.
    [/quote]

I had trouble with Reiser too..might have been that Gentoo wouldn't install on it like ext3 or something else wierd. XFS however treated me amazingly well for 6 or 8 months, maybe it's time to give reiser another try.

Where would I put that notail option, or does the gentoo manual say?

Good Guru

When an ext fs barfs there is uaually a good reason why, whether it is hardware related or a program trashed it. One thing to keep in mind is if you run out of HD space, you will want to boot to runlevel 1 and fix it by hand that way. THEN reboot to runlevel 3/5.

The one problem I had with ext2 was that right there -- a full HD from a pair of programs compiling away eating up my free disk space. I had to free several hundred MB to get the system usable again. Gotta love rescue discs ;D It bailed my ass out big time !!

notail is a mount option so

mount -o notail blah blah

or add to fstab

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=5822;start=0#55602 date=1039629381]
    When an ext fs barfs there is uaually a good reason why, whether it is hardware related or a program trashed it. One thing to keep in mind is if you run out of HD space, you will want to boot to runlevel 1 and fix it by hand that way. THEN reboot to runlevel 3/5.

The one problem I had with ext2 was that right there -- a full HD from a pair of programs compiling away eating up my free disk space. I had to free several hundred MB to get the system usable again. Gotta love rescue discs ;D It bailed my ass out big time !!
    [/quote]

Aside going to run level 1 I freed space, about 1.3 gigs worth. Or maybe the mozilla I downloaded was borken. Either way I guess the important Q is can I save it (going to run level 1 with a rescue cd?) or do I have to restart from scratch.

Advisor

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=13;threadid=5822;start=0#55599 date=1039627945]
    Knoppix is really stable (for me, anyway) and I just found out that when it is installed to your hard drive, it uses xfs as it's file system. I prefer ext3, myself.
    [/quote]

I have also found knoppix to be stable, but i'm running it on ext2 right now, (plan on converting to ext3 when i get around to it) If i'm not mistaken, you can install Knoppix on any filesystem supported by your kernel, when you format your partition pick what you want, the knx-hdinstall just copies files as far as I know so as long as the FS is supported you should be alright.

Good Guru

[quote author=ASCI_Blue link=board=13;threadid=5822;start=0#55628 date=1039645807]

Aside going to run level 1 I freed space, about 1.3 gigs worth. Or maybe the mozilla I downloaded was borken. Either way I guess the important Q is can I save it (going to run level 1 with a rescue cd?) or do I have to restart from scratch.
    [/quote]

I prefer teh resuce discs, but what you want to do is get to a prompt where all your affected partitions are unmounted. fsck them. When it tells you an error read it, see if it is a meaningful error, or just a whine. Move on. The time my problem occurred, it needed a few tries to clean. And a few files were corrupted, but meaningless files. That is when I realized that I should go thru and vape out anything that is unneccessary and reboot and retry. That yielded a bullseye! It cleaned it fine then.

IIRC, I was compiling a newer kernel and the latest XFree86. 3.3.1 I think ... I dunno. It was one of the last XFrees before 4.0. The one before whatever Slack 7.1 shipped with. I know that much. Cuz I went out and bought that a few months later.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=PK link=board=13;threadid=5822;start=0#55646 date=1039659990]
    [quote author=stryder144 link=board=13;threadid=5822;start=0#55599 date=1039627945]
    [/quote]

I have also found knoppix to be stable, but i'm running it on ext2 right now, (plan on converting to ext3 when i get around to it) If i'm not mistaken, you can install Knoppix on any filesystem supported by your kernel, when you format your partition pick what you want, the knx-hdinstall just copies files as far as I know so as long as the FS is supported you should be alright.
    [/quote]

That's odd. I say that simply because I just used cfdisk to partition the hard drive and used the ext2 (82 or 83) option. When I installed knoppix, I guess it chose xfs. The only reason why I know it is xfs is because when I go into the kde control panel it says so.

Cheers