Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

which one- Comp sci or Comp Eng? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which one- Comp sci or Comp Eng?

Mentor

Re:which one- Comp sci or Comp Eng?

The uni I go to doesn't have comp eng. I has electrical and electronic engineering, but for comp sci, there is a software engineering paper, so its fucked up. I'll probably do the software engineering paper, but my degree will only be comp sci.

I would like to get to a point where If something doesnt work on linux, i could sit down and write out a driver for it or write a prog to talk over a serial interface to something else. Cool stuff. Eng might be the road to take...

Advisor

I would probably go for the eng.
    But since I love life as a student, I can't be of much help.

[quote author=PK link=board=14;threadid=5818;start=0#55516 date=1039499251]
    correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't software engineering about as much into software as you can get? and wouldn't it be under comp eng? :-\
    [/quote]No, software engineering is still CS. At my U. it's the easiest CS option you can take. In the real world, software engineering is all about how you write and handle large scale software with lots and lots of pieces.

You could always do what I did and get a Computer Science Major and a Computer Engineering Minor.

Lots of fun :
    Well at least it extended my stay at college. :-\

[quote author=pwrhouse link=board=14;threadid=5818;start=0#55547 date=1039535059]
    You could always do what I did and get a Computer Science Major and a Computer Engineering Minor.

Lots of fun :
    [/quote]

I could imagine. Comp Eng alone has me working full time. But yeah if you hate math, eng is probably the way to go. They're both math-intensive, but there's a limit to how much you do in eng. I'm in second year right now, and I'm just finishing the last calc course I'll ever have to do. Not bad

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=14;threadid=5818;start=0#55554 date=1039543274]
    [quote author=pwrhouse link=board=14;threadid=5818;start=0#55547 date=1039535059]

Lots of fun :
    [/quote]
    I could imagine. Comp Eng alone has me working full time. But yeah if you hate math, eng is probably the way to go. They're both math-intensive, but there's a limit to how much you do in eng. I'm in second year right now, and I'm just finishing the last calc course I'll ever have to do. Not bad
    [/quote]
    To be honest, I don't actually do a whole lot of math within my major, except for within my actual math courses, which I'm finished with (although, I'm still considering a math minor.) I had a friend from last year graduate Magna Cum Laude and he was never really that great at math either. Nonetheless, he was one of the best programmers I know, and anyone that he works for will be extremely grateful.

Advisor

[quote author=sans link=board=14;threadid=5818;start=0#55546 date=1039534876]
    [quote author=PK link=board=14;threadid=5818;start=0#55516 date=1039499251]
    correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't software engineering about as much into software as you can get? and wouldn't it be under comp eng? :-\
    [/quote]No, software engineering is still CS. At my U. it's the easiest CS option you can take. In the real world, software engineering is all about how you write and handle large scale software with lots and lots of pieces.
    [/quote]

Hmm it seems it differs from school to school, where I'm planning on going (University of Alberta) Software Engineering is an option under Computer Engineering (in the Eng. dept. of coarse).

I looked into it a little more today. It seems that the computer engineering degree is only an engineering technology degree, not an actual full blown engineering thing. Ihave a friend thats a mechanical engineer, he is gonna help me out with the math, so I might go that route and take a math minor to compensate for the non-full engineering degree. I will post a link tomorrow so u guys can see it.

http://www.set.usm.edu/programs/cet/index.shtml

Making money is good, but being a scientist has bragging rights, especially if you're insane.