Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

which one- Comp sci or Comp Eng?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which one- Comp sci or Comp Eng?

which one- Comp sci or Comp Eng?

Which one guys? I am trying to start school (again). Should I go for the compsci major or go all out for the eng degree (which exponentially increases the cash flow)? What do u guys recommend?

Good Guru

Re:which one- Comp sci or Comp Eng?

probably the compsci, unless the $$$ increase is substantial enuf to make it that much of a no brainer (which I presume is not the case)

My prob is the math. I SUCK at math. I work for Lockheed Martin, and at my site, pretty much the minimum an engineer makes here is around 63k. Let me sum that up by saying thats 23K more than me. The math is just really really bad for me.

Advisor

Personally, I'm probably gonna go for eng, more $$$ is good ;D But I'm not you, so I can't say what you should do

Mentor

I'm trying to make the same decision myself now. I don't really know what comp eng is though, or comp sci for that matter, just know there is more money in eng. So anyone out there who can say what they are?

Hey, CS majors are engineers too.

Anyway, what do you like working on more, hardware or software? If you're into hardware, take up Comp. Eng., else take CS.

engineering - i went to school after the navy, knew didly squat about math when i started ( i started out in math 090) and wenth through all the math i could get until my junior year (which was 4 years later). anywho - and engineering has been good for me (bsee, working slowly on msee which takes forever....) . i know the kiddies and wife won't like it because if they are like mine they want ya all the time. anywho - thats my $0.02

Yeah if you like software go into CS, hardware go into comp eng. However it's quite possible to do both in a lot of cases. I go to U of Waterloo and I'm in comp eng. They give us the opportunity to take options. Next year I'm starting the software option, which is a joint effort on the part of comp eng and the math faculty (CS). So maybe check out something like that at the places you're applying to. You can get the best of both worlds. On a side note, there are all kinds of other cool options for comp eng, like Mechatronics Not sure if our CS students get these as well.
    I can't speak for Mathies, but I can definitely tell you that I find comp eng freakin cool. I have all sorts of awsome abstract software courses right now, and coming up soon are courses on real time operating systems as well as hardware stuff like microprocessors and register programming. What sorts of goodies can others recommend for our friend? Let's try to give him a feel for what's down each road.

Mentor

I've decided that I'm going to go into computer science now, as I've always been more into the software as opposed to hardware. Thanks for the help guys
    CP

Advisor

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't software engineering about as much into software as you can get? and wouldn't it be under comp eng? :-\