Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

America is getting worse - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: America is getting worse

Re:America is getting worse

[quote author=Grand Aardvark Kenshi link=board=14;threadid=5812;start=0#55373 date=1039395637]
    I'm glad there are a lot of guns in this area. I don't know and have never heard of anyone having their home broke into here for robbery nor rape. I can see why Europeans are on the net so much. They've locked themselves in their homes to avoid the criminals in that evil outside world created by anti-gun laws.
    [/quote]
    I don't think gun control creates an evil world. One thing is to have a gun to defend yourself or your family or property. Assault weapons, as I understand it, are for military/police and criminals who would battle these.

You're right to think that trickster..And add in there collectors. However our current definition of assault weapon is rather weak since as firearms go a 30 cal remington from Guns-n-Stuff iirc can reach out and touch someone at a longer distance than an M-16.

The problem with banning any weapons is they aren't going to reverse the decisions. Taxes for example.. You vote for a tax that'll help roads yada yada whatever they're trying to sell now this year, next year you can bet there'll be something else they want you to vote for so they can tax more. Will they give up the first tax? Of course not.

So, first you start with the big nasty guns. Let's an assault weapons. Let's be realistic, is there even a need for police to have assault weapons? Politicians? It really depends on the definition of assault weapon that you use. I would say those armored cars have just as much use for an assault weapon as a police officer does.

Now, how many people are actually capable of making an accurate description of an assualt weapon? Yeah, exactly. So, the next step is either to ban something else that normal people don't need (pistol grips perhaps), or redefine what an assualt weapon is. Seeing as most people currently don't know, nobody will know it was redefined and so your freedoms quietly get taken away in some misguided hope to make the country safer from terrorism or what not.

You let it keep happening and soon enough since the only thing a handgun is designed for is murder, you don't have those either. Just hunting rifles. Then, because you can hunt with bow and arrows we outlaw rifles. Then you can use a knife and we outlaw bow and arrows. Okay, maybe that's not how it'll happen, but I do stick by my claims that gun bans won't stop with assualt rifles.

Good Guru

I am kinda strapped for time so I am gonna make one statement and join back in a little while to this one.

Banning guns in entirety or just a few is not going to do anything useful. All that happens is the people that we good citizens dont want to own them are now able to get them on the black market. Where as any of us good people are put into the bad spot of not having any way of countering the demons that carry them for ill thought purposes.

LA bank robbery to gunfight is a prime example. This is the one that was all over CNN Live. This is the evil people that dont care, and will get the guns no matter what.

I am not a gun owner, but I don't think there is anything wrong with owning one or 10 or 100. There are people who collect guns, there are hunters, there are marksmen, there are Jr. ROTC and ROTC members who do weapon training for military before being a military person, etc ... If guns are bad so are knifes, hammers, crowbars, lockpicking equiptment, cars, bows, martial arts, etc. It comes down to the people using the tools.

Also, I'm not one of those guys who will tel lyou everyone should own a gun and that guns are awsome, etc ... but I am one for liberties, rights of the people, and freedom.

Warning: opinions ahead ...

I belive that if the government that rules you has weapons the people should be allowed to have weapons otherwise we run into a king/serf syndrome IE: someone comes and breakes into your house and they have a gun (bought of black market lets say) and you, a good citizen, do not have one because they are against the law, your only hope is that the FBI has your house bugged and will come in time to save you ..... and if you think about that you'll see that the whole scenario is messed up and pretty scary!

[quote author=pbharris link=board=14;threadid=5812;start=0#55361 date=1039385343]
    where did you hear that Ash?
    [/quote]

The bill and act I read about a whole lot after sept 11th, the 9th circuit thing was all over the radio and in the non-liberal based media (Fox News, PBS, etc ..), and the FBI stuff was on Slashdot along with MS buying seats in congress.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=14;threadid=5812;start=0#55360 date=1039384845]
    I think my views are conflicting with the views of certain members on this one... I think for the sack of peace I will refrain from uttering my opinion futher on this matter.
    [/quote]

Actually I'd love to get a europen point of view on it. I have yet to hear an actual good reason for a civilan gunless society from people in the US.

Are guns illegal where you live? How does it help/hinder society? How long has it been this way? Do police carry guns? etc ..

ah - thanks ash. i get most my news from yahoo r in my car from NPR.

[quote author=Grand Aardvark Kenshi link=board=14;threadid=5812;start=0#55373 date=1039395637]
    I'm glad there are a lot of guns in this area. I don't know and have never heard of anyone having their home broke into here for robbery nor rape. I can see why Europeans are on the net so much. They've locked themselves in their homes to avoid the criminals in that evil outside world created by anti-gun laws.
    [/quote]

I thought trolling wasn't allowed here? Is there an exception for moderators?

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=14;threadid=5812;start=0#55410 date=1039405527]
    Are guns illegal where you live? How does it help/hinder society? How long has it been this way? Do police carry guns? etc ..
    [/quote]

I have never owned a gun so I don't know much about the gun laws. However, guns are not illegal here in Sweden - we have shooting clubs and of course many hunters - but there are strict regulations on handling and storing them.

I just found some info about guns for hunting:

-If you want to buy a gun for hunting you have to go through hunting training and they (the police) do a background check. I think they check for things like a criminal record and a history of mental instability, things like that.

-You can only buy ammunition for guns you have a license for and there are regulations on how to store weapons. You have to have a gun safe and I think gun and ammunition are supposed to be stored separately.

The rules are probably similar for all types of gunowners.

[hr]
    I like the strict gunlaws we have here. If I want a gun for sportshooting or hunting then I can have one. I see no reason to not have strict regulations when it comes to weapons. I don't know anyone who is afraid of being assaulted by strangers in their home, it rarely happens.

Guns are almost a non-issue here, people don't feel a need to have guns in their homes and if they want them for "fun" (hunting etc..) they can. Of course criminals have guns but they use them on each other most of the time.

I don't exactly know how long we have had strict gun laws, but I think they have been around for a hundred years or so. About as long as we have had strict alcohol laws I think. Sweden was very violent in the 19th century, lots of drinking (we live in the vodka belt after all, or atleast close to it) and fighting and finally people decided something has to be done. I think that's the origin of those laws.

Oh, I almost forgot. Yes, the police carry guns and we are not afraid of the government