Thread: Debian Idle Problem

Debian Idle Problem

I have installed Debian 3.0 (Woody) with WindowMaker 0.80 as my desktop.

The problem I'm having is when my system is idle, it kicks me out of the desktop environment and back to the login prompt, which was XDM. So I thought XDM may be causing the problem and removed it, but since i've removed it, I'm still getting kicked out to the console screen. It also closes out all open windows that I have open. It's getting to be a pain!

Does anybody know how I can fix this? I don't have a screensaver setup either!

Thnx.

Kind Mastermind

Re:Debian Idle Problem

Have you tried to apt-get update/apt-get dist-upgrade yet? There might be fixes available. Barring that (since I doubt that it is a problem with stock Debian), what graphics card do you have installed? Do you have the most current drivers installed and are they installed correctly? What chipset does your motherboard use? Have you looked up possible conflicts between the two? Lastly, which version of xfree86 is installed? You might try upgrading that to the latest version. Just some thoughts, as I have not had the same problem you have (though I seem to have been bitten by the Via/Nvidia incompatibility problem >).

Cheers

Yes I just apt-get update/upgrade ova the weekend. But I haven't tried using mplayer or xine yet. MY VC is an ATI Radeon 7200 agp, wit 32mb of mem. The graphic drivers I have now is what came wit Debian. I have a Shuttle AK31a mobo wit VIA chipset, 266mhz bus, AMD XP 1700.

I'm will try it out sometime today. I'm at work (3rd shift) so if I can stay woke awhile!

Thnx.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=1;threadid=5807;start=0#55317 date=1039348185]
    Yes I just apt-get update/upgrade ova the weekend. But I haven't tried using mplayer or xine yet. MY VC is an ATI Radeon 7200 agp, wit 32mb of mem. The graphic drivers I have now is what came wit Debian. I have a Shuttle AK31a mobo wit VIA chipset, 266mhz bus, AMD XP 1700.

I'm will try it out sometime today. I'm at work (3rd shift) so if I can stay woke awhile!

Thnx.

[/quote]

Third shift, eh? Boy, I feel your pain. I'm working a second shift right now. Luckily, no thirds this month. 8's sure beat out 12's any day, though (I've worked mostly 12 hour shifts the last five years or so).

Cheers

Yeah I been working this job for 6 yrs and 3rd shift the whole time...I kinda like working 2nd shift, its not too bad...you don't have to get up early like 1st shift! ;D