Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-BSD from Linux Community

Anti-BSD from Linux Community

I've noticed so much 'BSD is dying' and 'BSD's user base dwindiling' reports from people. Can anyone confirm this? I always seemed to think that BSD's are just starting to catch on!

Advisor

Re:Anti-BSD from Linux Community

I am also under the impression that the BSD are gaining ground. It is possilbe though that this is because I still am relatively new to the non-windows community :

"BSD is dying" is some troll shit from Slashdot.

BSD is gaining in popularity, especially OpenBSD. OpenBSD has everything to eventually be the most popular BSD:

- Proactive security: a must in every software nowadays
    - Regular releases: makes it easier to plan an upgrade to the next RELEASE version when you know that in exactly 6 months, the new OpenBSD will arrive
    - pf is getting real mature and has some real nice features
    - All the developing security stuff they got (non-executable stack and heap, no-stack-smashing gcc extensions, strn*, etc.)
    - The developers care about freedom the most of any BSD project
    - Theo may be an elitist asshole at times, but he always seeks the best for the project and for the users (OpenBSD is very user-oriented)
    - All the cool crypto stuff
    - BIND and Apache are preinstalled in a chroot, making it easier to have a more secure DNS and webserver
    - The ports tree is getting bigger and bigger
    - Support for crypto hardware

There are also many other reasons why OpenBSD really rocks, and why I think it will eventually be very highly regarded by a large portion of the computing world.

Rock on OpenBSD!

P.S: Only thing I don't really understand about OpenBSD developers, is why they keep using C even for the simplest applications. I mean, they could probably use gnat (Ada compiler based on gcc) to write applications of less importance. They would keep all the portability that gcc gives them, but would gain a lot in the security departement (no buffer overflows, strict static typing, exceptions, safe pointers, etc.)

I think that BSD is gaining in popularity but very slowly. As the linux userbase increases though, I think it will help to increase the BSD userbase.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=segfault link=board=13;threadid=5806;start=0#55312 date=1039335802]
    I think that BSD is gaining in popularity but very slowly. As the linux userbase increases though, I think it will help to increase the BSD userbase.
    [/quote]

I think that you are correct, sir! It seems that whenever Linux gets good press, BSD is mentioned as well (especially when open-source is mentioned in an article). Of course, I think that I would have tried one of the BSD's a while ago if Linux had not been so popular (well, at least among my friends, anyway. 1997 wasn't the best year for Linux from a press perspective). I'm thinking about firing up the ole BSD disk that I have (I think it's FreeBSD, I'm not certain) and putting it on a partition on my hard drive. It never hurts.

Cheers

After having checked the iso sizes at linuxiso.org, I think that I d/l NetBSD, not FreeBSD. Any opinions about NetBSD?

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=13;threadid=5806;start=0#55319 date=1039349883]
    After having checked the iso sizes at linuxiso.org, I think that I d/l NetBSD, not FreeBSD. Any opinions about NetBSD?
    [/quote]

I like NetBSD, it's pretty similar to OpenBSD in terms of feel.

[quote author=GnuVince link=board=13;threadid=5806;start=0#55310 date=1039334471]
    "BSD is dying" is some troll shit from Slashdot.
    [/quote]

I've heard it from people on irc and in speeches and stuff ... but it probably stems from the same trollish group.

BSD is gaining in popularity, especially OpenBSD. OpenBSD has everything to eventually be the most popular BSD:
    Thats exactly what I thought!

I think BSD will slowly take up a niche of server related installs... It's simply not as good as Linux anymore, in areas where the Linux kernel lacked behind previously, it's now BSD that lacks behind.

BSD is nice but Linux is SO much nicer.. I see no reason to install BSD over my beloved Gentoo.

Linux, nicer? Hah. For desktop abilities perhaps but for server needs not by far. I probably make things harder on myself by using FreeBSD as a desktop OS but I guess at least it doesn't lock up every 5 minutes due to promiscuous interrupt errors. (I can just avoid the certain kernels that do that on my machine but the fact that it happened at all, and with more than one kernel version, really gave me a long-lasting distaste.)

Comon now, kenshi, don't blame Linux for your personal kernel misconfigurations!

Linux is better, besides the bsd camp (freebsd especially) seem a bit anal. When was the last time you saw a penguin raping the daemon?