Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

how come in rh8.0 i cannot "see" my windows partitions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how come in rh8.0 i cannot "see" my windows partitions?

how come in rh8.0 i cannot "see" my windows partitions?

I was just wondering because with lycoris, mandrake and others i'vre tried they all saw the windows partions in the /mnt/hda/ directory... and how do you get it to see the partition if possible.
    thanks in advance

Advisor

Re:how come in rh8.0 i cannot "see" my windows partitions?

Chances are, the drive just isn't being mounted. if you have a folder /mnt/hda you can mount it manually with the "mount" command, or, to make it easier you can add it to your /etc/fstab file. For example, here's the line for my win partition in my /etc/fstab file. This mounts the fat32 partition at /dev/hda1 to /mnt/fat-c

/dev/hda1 /mnt/fat-c vfat defaults 0 0

with this in my fstab i can just run "moutn /mnt/fat-c" to mount it in that place, if you want it mounted at boot time, I believe it will be if you change the last 0 to a 1.

[quote author=PK link=board=2;threadid=5803;start=0#55294 date=1039327861]
    Chances are, the drive just isn't being mounted. if you have a folder /mnt/hda you can mount it manually with the "mount" command, or, to make it easier you can add it to your /etc/fstab file. For example, here's the line for my win partition in my /etc/fstab file. This mounts the fat32 partition at /dev/hda1 to /mnt/fat-c

/dev/hda1 /mnt/fat-c vfat defaults 0 0

with this in my fstab i can just run "moutn /mnt/fat-c" to mount it in that place, if you want it mounted at boot time, I believe it will be if you change the last 0 to a 1.
    [/quote]
    When I type the command in super user mode in the teminal it says permission denied. How can that be?

Advisor

I haven't a clue :-\ but hopefully someone else will know.

I just noticed that i do not have a /mnt/fstab directory at all.

Advisor

[quote author=Mantis166 link=board=2;threadid=5803;start=0#55302 date=1039329563]
    I just noticed that i do not have a /mnt/fstab directory at all.
    [/quote]

You shouldn't have a /mnt/fstab file, you should have an /etc/fstab file. /mnt is generally used for mounting things (floppy's CD's, filesystems etc). /etc is configuration files. Your fstab (/etc/fstab) is kinda like the config file for the mounting of filesystems. If you don't have an /etc/fstab file, then redhat probably has some different configuration that I'm unaware of (i'm not a RH user).

I rebooted by computer and it finally let me write to the fstab file, so i did with
    "/dev/hda1 /mnt/fat-c vfat defaults 0 1" and after i typed mount /mnt/fat-c and it says
    "can't find /mnt/fat-c in /ect/fstab or ect/mtab
    what do i do with the mtab file?

Associate

You don't need to do anything wih the /etc/mtab file. This file just keeps a running tab on which filesystems (partitions) are already mounted on your system, and does not require any user intervention. It's probably not a good idea to try and edit the /etc/mtab file !!

To mount a partition, a "mountpoint" has to be exist for a partition to be mounted at. So, when you type
    mount /mnt/fat-c
    you should first be sure that "/mnt/fat-c" exists in your directory structure. (To check whether the mountpoint exists, at a terminal or console, type "ls /mnt". The output from this command should include "fat-c". If it does not, you need to create it - type "mkdir /mnt/fat-c&quot

If you perform the checks in the previous paragraph, and it checks out, but you still get an error when you type "mount /mnt/fat-c", then the problem is likely that you have an incorrect/incomplete entry in your /etc/fstab file. By the way, when you added that entry in your /etc/fstab file, it should automatically mount at boot.

Write back if you're still having problems.

thanks so much! i've been trying things for a week.

Good Guru

good tip Mikie!

Yeah, one needs several things to make a mount work

1) Proper source
    2) Know the FS type. IE. fat32, ext3, reiserfs ...
    3) Existing mountpoint.
    4) Superuser access (or, root)

With those one can mount any fs to a mount point. And this holds true to every UNIX flavor I have touched.